Two homes, one hub in each and Alexa

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to best solve this. I am lucky to have two homes (city condo for the workweek and a house for the week-end). Each has a C7 Hubitat Hub with a number of devices and Alexas in many of the rooms.

I'd like to be able to control the local devices from Alexa (under one account) in each home. Because Alexa can only be connected to one hub (AFAIK), the only solution I've found (but haven't rolled out yet) is to set up HubConnect so a set of House devices appear in the Condo hub, rename them locally to be prefixed by "House" and set up Alexa to connect to the Condo hub therefore having access to both sets of devices. As such, I would be able to control "Condo Living Room Light" and "House Living Room Light".

Is there a smarter, less cumbersome way to do this?

Thanks for your help,

Erik

Actually that sounds fairly clever to me!

I wonder if you could simplify things somewhat using Alexa groups. I have lights and dimmers and echos all associated with groups in the Alexa app. When I'm in my office and I say "turn on the lights" Alexa figures out that the lights I mean are the ones in the same room and turns them on. You could have a group called "condo living room" and a group called "house living room." When you said "turn on lights," as long as you were speaking to the right echo, it would know which living room you meant.

Yes, that's roughly what I did. I am assuming you're talking about Alex groups, right?

Alexa yeah. A pain to maintain things on two systems but...

For me it's mostly the naming that's a pain. I also wish that HubConnect had a way to prefix the remote hub devices automatically.

Right now I have to figure out how to import the remoteHub devices, I see three of them, I don't remember where you select what the target hub sees and creates as a HubConnect device.

What's wrong with setting up a secondary Amazon account? You'd still be able to control devices through HubMesh etc.. seems like an easy way to handle things.

I don't know if there is anything wrong with it. I wonder if I'd encounter a limitation like not being able to use the same Spotify account on two Alexas with two different accounts or something similar ; then I'd be really bumped.

But that account would only be for HE for that location right? You'd still have your regular account for everything else.. maybe I am misunderstanding something...

edit: I guess it would be a problem if you wanted to control it via phone but that's what hub mesh and the "real" account is for.. you could have a dedicated Fire tablet with it on as well.

I also recently was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a beach house as a second home and installed HE which is working great but also discovered that the Amazon Echo Skill can only connect to one HE at a time. I will do some research on HubConnect option but also wondering what other options exist and if there are any plans to update the Amazon Echo Skill to support connecting to multiple hubs.

I am using Hub Connect right now. It's a bit of a pain because it creates a number of devices from hub 2 on your hub 1 but that works well enough. As someone mentioned, 2 Amazon/Alexa account is another good way to do it.

1 Like