Two Different Times in One

I have not created a rule in a while just because everything works great. However, I went to change a couple of rules and noticed RM 4.0. I created the below rule and all works except for the lights turning off at 11:00 pm. Should I creat two rules for the different times?

Thanks

Your problem is the second trigger at 5:30 PM. What you are basically doing is to run a second instance of the same rule, that messes up your waits.

What was the intention of running it at 5:30 PM?
Also:

You are waiting for 8:30 AM and then you turn of the lights and turn them on right away. I think you are missing a wait between the Off and On

I am assuming you were intending to do something like this:

Trigger: When Time is 6:30 AM
Actions:
On: Living room Lights, Laundry Room Lamp, Cabinet Lights, Lamp
Wait for events: when Time is 8:30 AM CST
Off: Living room Lights, Laundry Room Lamp, Cabinet Lights, Lamp
Wait for events: when Time is 5:30 PM CST
On: Living room Lights, Laundry Room Lamp, Cabinet Lights, Lamp
Wait for events: when Time is 11:00 PM CST
Off: Living room Lights, Laundry Room Lamp, Cabinet Lights, Lamp
1 Like

Just one more hint: You might want to look at the Simple Lighting app that is built-in as it is much easier to deal with a schedule like yours compared to messing with RM...

2 Likes

Gotcha. I just assumed I need the second trigger to trigger the evening lighting activity. With not much experience and not changing/ adding rules, it is like another language to me. I was able to update the rule for testing today.

That is my next step if this does not work. However, I would like to get more familiar with the terminology for setting up future rules.

Thanks

keep in mind, if you just changed it than it won't execute today as the next time that 6.30 AM will happen (the trigger) is tomorrow

So, should I change the trigger to 5:30 pm?

No, that is the downside of doing it with RM and waits. You need to read the rule from top to bottom.

Let's assume you change it to 5.30pm, it would function as this:

5.30PM happnes -> first line is executed, as in turn on the lights -> second line get's executed, as in wait until 8.30 AM

That 8.30 AM would be 8.30 AM tomorrow as it already passed for today.

Every trigger causes a rule to be executed from top to bottom.
That's why I recommend Simple Lightning, you won't have those issues with that. Or you make 4 rules out of it without waits

Just a question on that.
If you amend the rule, click on update rule, click on run actions and then exit the rule by clicking on the apps link at the top, would that cause the 'wait for events' to be evaluated and therefore populate the scheduled jobs section.
I haven't tried it but was just wondering.
Thanks.

Yes it would. Update rule is basically a manual trigger of the rule it will start from the top again

2 Likes

Thanks. I've wondered about it but never took the time to test it.
I'll have to try and remember that one.
Thanks again.