Tuya Zigbee Light Sensor (or alternative)

I need a lux/luminance/light sensor. I'll go into the reasons below, but I came across this one...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXT7TRY9

I cannot find the model number or anyway to see if this is supported or if there is a community driver. Anyone know anything about this device?

I'm looking for a luminance sensor to put in windows on the side and front of my house. The purpose is to determine how much he sun is shinning on those surfaces of the house. On a hot day, my AC keeps up, but if it is hot and sun shines on those two sides of the house, I need extra AC in the master bedroom. These sensor will be used so that I can start cooling early on sunny days to pre-cool the bedroom so that it won't get beyond the point of no return.

FYI: I tried to repurpose my aquara/xiaomi motion sensor for the purpose, but I did not realize that they only report luminance when they "see" motion.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aqara T1 illumination sensor

But when the light hits the side of the house, don’t you get a temperature rise? Why not just monitor for the rise in temperature and kick the AC on based on that?

That is a decent idea, my concern is that on a windy day, the temperature may appear cooler. For example, if you are outside on a very sunny day, the temperature of a road may be 10-20 degrees higher than the ambient temperature.

Is there something that would measure surface temperature instead of air temp?

1 Like

@junk2 the Tuya contact/illuminance sensor is supported in the Tuya driver. But it will send the illuminance reading only on contact state change, so it will not work in your use case.

The Aqara dedicated illuminance/light sensor is the best approach in mu opinion, as it is sending the illuminance value as soon as it changes.
It is supported by this and this(the dev.branch version) community drivers.

3 Likes

That makes sense. I’d use a reference between sensor in that case. One in the shade, one when the sun begins to hit the side of building.

But @kkossev confirms there’s good reason to use the Aqara. :v:t2:

1 Like