Tuya Human Presence Detector YXZBRB58

@kkossev

I am trying to setup Tuya Human Presence Detector YXZBRB58 with 4-in-1 driver.
The device is recognized and paired with C8 hub. But this is about it.
Unfortunately it does not send any events.
Here is a screenshot for the device Data field:

And just in case, State Variables:

Any ideas what could be wrong?

No humans present?

1 Like

No any events at all. I am not even sure if device is still online and connected.
Logs from Driver are the same even when device is powered off.
Device is powered off. Sending "initialize" command from the Device page.
Here is a log from driver (there are no any errors or complaints about absent device):

Maybe try pairing again. I see only transmit, but no receive counts in the state variables. I would also think you should see the notPresentCounter displaying a value if there had been any detection and then absence (although I don't use this driver so I'm not certain how that's supposed to work).

Have you tried to delete the device ('REMOVE DEVICE' red button) and then pair it again to your hub?

The 'rxCounter' state counts the number of received Zigbee messages from the device. Zero means that the device has not paired successfully to the hub or has felt off the Zigbee network...
Is your hub C-8 or C-7?

1 Like

Yes, I did try this multiple times and the result was always the same.

Hub is C8.
Yes, it looks like the device never paired successfully (multiple pairing attempts performed)
or immediately dropping from the Zigbee network.

Yes, tried this multiple times.
Right after pairing attempt Current States is this:

After clicking on the "Initialize" button the it becomes this:

And, BTW Rx counter shows something after I left this toy unattended for couple hours:

Maybe it is still on the Zigbee Mesh but it does not report any activity at all.

It's a stretch, but have you tried rebooting the hub and then try pairing again?

Jus did it. During these 2-3min hub rebooting time my wife managed to visit bathroom
and kitchen. Of course, the device did not work but I got an angry barking wife.
This toy disconnects immediately after pairing is finished.
I am saying Good Bye to this toy (it will go back to Amazon). And in a future I will not buy
any Tuya things at all until Tuya will realize all this deviations from standards and making
things proprietary is not a good idea. Lesson learned.

1 Like

Yeah that’s definitely a problem with the low cost devices. I don’t even try them on HE. I use Zigbee2MQTT with a Combee 2 Zigbee controller exclusively for Xiaomi, IKEA and Tuya devices.

I have a C7 which now handles all LAN devices with ZWave and Zigbee radios turned off.
But I really don't want to setup another Zigbee Mesh just for this one problematic
device even briefly to try will it work on C7.

UPDATE
I was lying. For my curiosity I enabled Zigbee Radio Ch26 on C7.
This toy instantly paired with C7 and connection to the C7 Zigbee Mesh
(right now with only one this single device) is very stable (so far).
But I still do not like this device because it sending messages every 1-2 seconds.
This could be a driver related issues (@kkossev) because all my preferences are
reverting back to all defaults within 10-15 min. I swear, "Save Preferences" button
was pushed. So, I may change my mind and keep this toy if driver could/will be fixed.

1 Like

The problem is definitely in Hubitat platform - the C-8 Zigbee 3.0 stack.

HE doesn't stay connected with some new Zigbee 3.0 devices. Most of the problems reported in the forum are for devices that use Telink Semiconductor (Taiwan) latest Zigbee SoC. At the moment, these are mostly Tuya ecosystem devices, but I think it is just a matter of time before the same problem hits the new batches of Zigbee devices widely used in the US ... global chips shortage and costs reduction...

If you got this sensor from Amazon .com, please post the link so that Hubitat engineers can purchase it and look at the connectivity issue in the lab.

The device should stay connected to Hubitat and respond to 'Get Info' commands using the inbuilt 'Device' driver.

1 Like

Yes, from Amazon. Here is a link to this toy:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYDCY4YN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I am not sure whom to tag from Hubitat.

On C7 the device is working but attempt to save preferences is failing.
After about 10-15 min all preferences are resetting to all defaults.
This seems to be a driver related problem.
Can this be fixed?

Also the device sends something every 1-2sec.
Is this because preferences did not save?

1 Like

@mike.maxwell could be interested in this device - it stays connected to C-7, but disconnects almost immediately after pairing to C-8.
The same device is being reported to stay connected to other Zigbee coordinators (ST, Z2M, etc..).

@vitaliy_kh let's keep this thread for tracking the Zigbee connectivity issues, I will reply regarding the possible driver configuration issues in your other thread.

I looked at another version of this device and didn't have any issues getting it working on a C8 using @kkossev's driver, however unless/until the distance reporting that these produce every second or so can be shut down on the device end, Hubitat can't really get behind these.

2 Likes

There are too many different versions made by different manufacturers.

This particular device is also sold by a company named ' shenzhenshixiangchuangyeshiyeyouxiangongsi' (!!!).

The mmWave chip inside is the same as the one used in the previous radars, the commands and the parameter meaning and functionality is the same - EXCEPT they changed the command IDs ( the so-called 'Tuya DP' or 'Tuya Data Points'). It doesn't make any sense for this change, but the dozens of small unknown companies that produce new devices using the Tuya platform are doing it all the time.

What is even worse - one and the same product, sold under one and the same name ( Moes, or Girier, or Lonsonho, or ... you name it) are using different commands for one and the same device type, having one and the same functionality!

I can only speculate that none of Moes, Girier, Lonsono, Zemismart, etc, etc... are the the real producers of these devices. These are just white labels / sellers that sell anything that can bring some extra $$$. I can't assume that the engineering teams within one and the same company do not talk to each other... or they are talking in different languages? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@kkossev and @mike.maxwell please let me know how I can help to debug this problem.
Currently I don't have any Zigbee Steek but I can buy one. Lust let me know which one?
I can use Wireshark installed on my Windows-11 PC or Home Assistant (HA is running HA
OS on ODROID N2+ hardware). Messing up with HA installation is less desirable but, sure
I can use it to help for debugging the problem.

I cannot speak for it from a debug aspect, but for reliable no-nonsense Zigbee on HA, ConBee 2 has severed me and many others very well.

Yes, it’s not Zigbee 3, but that hasn’t prevented me from easily joining any of the Aqara and IKEA devices or the Tuya ZY-M100-S. Even works great with my OSRAM Gardenspots (v1) which gave me no end of trouble on both HE and the OSRAM bridge. Everything has been solid and Z2M has been wonderful to use. Lots of support for these misfit devices and full feature exposure.