Tuya Energy Monitor trouble getting it to show data

I realize this isn't a HE issue. But I need to be able to collect data before I can integrate it with Hubitat. Once I get the concept working, I'll probably end up purchasing the Zigbee version which is what I thought I bought.

Please feel free to delete if this is in the wrong area or not allowed

I purchased one of the Tuya wifi Energy monitor and am having trouble getting it to show any data.

I have it plugged into a 120V power cord.

It is paired with Smart Life and is showing as connected.

I connected both clamps with the wire with the black line in the negative and the other in the load.

They are clamped onto two different power sources.

But I'm not getting any data showing up in the app when I view live or look anywhere else.

Is their something else I need to do or that I can try.

Double check the connections. There's only negative and positive for the clamp. Tuya clamps are funny. Some with red/black wires other white and black be sure you are connecting them to the correct terminals.
The direction of the clamp is also important when clamping it the wire.
I have the zigbee version and use it to monitor my mini split.

2 Likes

Appreciate your input.

I now have two of these for testing. But I can't get the app to see any data readings on the clamps.
I've tried switching the wires on the Positive and Neutral and have had no luck.
Reversing the direction of the clamps.

The SmartLife app shows that the power is 120V and 60Hz.

But Circuit 1 and 2 show nothing.

I put a voltmeter on the power and it shows 120V.

Not sure what else to try.

I do have a wifi version as well but haven't hooked it up yet. I can try it later and see if I can get it up and running. Wasn't planning to use the WiFI version.

1 Like

The wifi version works for me on the Tuya life app.

The clamps polarity doesn't seem to be that important as long as you know the direction of flow.
Even the power in working fine with Line and neutral swapped. Don't do this! I was just doing it for testing.
Only thing I could think of is that you are clamping to a wire with no load?

1 Like

This is my test setup. Both clamps have power going through the line

I get a read out for the input line. But just 0's on the Circuit readouts for the clamps.

The clamp must be placed over a single conductor - it can be either the live or the neutral wire, but never both.

https://docs.openenergymonitor.org/electricity-monitoring/ct-sensors/installation.html

2 Likes

That's true but still doesn't explain why it's not reading anything. Putting the clamp over multi conductors will measure the sum of each conductor.
Try it over a single conductor with high load and let us know.

Yes, but the current is shifted 180 degrees, so the resulting electromagnetic field is zero.

We would think that's the case right? I have mine over the whole conduit for testing and my result is not zero.
I noticed his reading ratio is 3000:1 and my is 1000:1
Maybe he does need to test it on a single conductor with high load as suggested above.

The only logical explanation that comes to my mind is that in your case the current is flowing asymmetrically, i. e. the circuit is closed at some other neutral/common ground conductor.

2 Likes