Tuya Button Support or other Recommendations

I'm on the hunt for a good Hubitat supported physical button. I have a Samsung button in one room, but that thing positively devours batteries, even with nearby Zigbee routing devices. I also had an Ikea dimmer that I was using with ST, but that's an oddball device and not supported in Hubitat.

Tuya has a bunch of interesting looking and affordable button devices, but many of the sellers claim it requires a Tuya branded hub. I'm wondering if that's true or not. Has anyone gotten Tuya buttons working with Hubitat?

Any others I should consider? I have a mix of Zigbee and Z-Wave in a two-story townhouse. I see Zooz makes some wall-mountable Z-Wave switches, but I don't want to cut out any drywall. The paddle style remote looks like it might be awkward outside of a wall mount.

You can check this : [RELEASE] Tuya Scene Switch TS004F driver (w/ healthStatus)

Note, that this is not a recommendation to use Tuya buttons... If you are located in the US, then you have much better choices! : )

I don't think they are really -- see the picture on their website of it removed from the mount -- aside from the fact that it looks exactly like the same thing that goes in a wall and it's hard to tell up from down (so which button you're pressing) unless you locate the tiny LED first. If you use different automations for up and down taps of the paddle, this is, of course, an important distinction. I'm guessing someone could make some freestanding magnetic mount or something for these, but I haven't seen any.

Even if you do want them on the wall, you can just stick them on the wall directly with their mount--no need to cut any drywall (though you'd probably want to figure out how to keep a plate over the mount to make it look better).

My favorite button devices are Lutron Pico remotes. They are cheap themselves, but it's not cheap to get started given that you need at least the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro (L-BDGPRO2) to use them, or an even higher-end system like RA2 Select or RadioRA2. Their batteries last forever, they look good in a wall (as long as you don't mind their unique button arrangement), on a table (they make a fancy mount but they also work fine as-is, even if it's nearly as hard with Zooz to tell up from down; they have a bit more writing and icons to help), and communication is always fast for me from Lutron to Hubitat with Lutron's reliable ClearConnect protocol being behind that side of the communication.

FWIW, I don't mind the SmartThings Buttons; I get one that sometimes goes through a few batteries a year, but most of the rest are probably once or maybe twice a year replacements at most. Not exactly infrequent, I suppose, but I'm not sure how bad they are for you. Before the SmartThings Button was released, I was looking for one and was disappointed with the selection. So, part of my excitement for that device probably just comes from the fact that it exists. :slight_smile:

Other devices I'm ware of, some of which I've used and have opinions about:

• I had previously rejected the Fiabro buttoon for myself (too expensive, too awkward and big looking), but it's still available
  • I have the Hank 4-button Z-Wave remote but never got around to trying it -- different form factor from the Decora-looking ones, if you prefer that
  • I did not like the ERIA/AduroSmart dimmer/remote because it had a few-second delay if it hadn't been used for a while.
  • I like the Hue v1 dimmer but not the design change of the v2, but I keep them on Hue and had bad luck with battery on the one I tried directly to Hubitat.
  • The classic Aeon MiniMotes were once my go-to but hard to find now and pretty awkward (I only used them because it's the closest thing I could find at the time), and I've never used any of their newer WallMote or NanoMote products, but they look cool.
  • Xiaomi/Aqara has lots of cheap buttons I also used in the past, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them given that they can be picky on Hubitat unless you only use certain repeaters/routers.

Others could be aware of more. I think some of the Tuya ones look pretty neat, but I've tried so many already and like Picos so much I'm not sure I need to try any more right now. But if I didn't already start with Lutron, some of the above might have made it into my home more...

1 Like

I like my Zooz ZEN34's. I have one by the door and one by the bed. No drywall cutting required-surface mount, and they include the plate and screws.

@user3639

If you're in the US you can't beat a pico. I haven't changed the batteries in my oldest ones in over 10 years...

In the hand...

On a pedestal mount

On the wall

Is it fading? :slight_smile:

I appreciate all the responses. Seems like there's no slam-dunk choice, which continues to surprise me for a device as simple as a button.

I'm definitely not interested in purchasing another hub like Lutron just to have my preferred buttons. I already have Harmony and Hue hubs, so that would be a fourth!

The Samsung buttons need replacing about every 1.5 to 2 months in home. They're about 10 feet from the closest Zigbee repeater. I find that unacceptable and it doesn't make me want to buy any more of those.

I think @velvetfoot had a nice summary of the Zooz ZEN34, which is probably my leading candidate currently. I don't love that it's only two buttons, they're unlabeled, and it's not clear which button is which (up and down). I could see lots of use cases that they would be perfect for, but they're not ideal for this use. And I've been happy with the Zooz dimmer I have in installed in one room.

Thanks for the link to the driver @kkossev. It sounds like you're the author? Was there anything funky to get these to work with Hubitat, or are they basically normal Zigbee devices?

These LoraTap buttons also claim they require a Tuya hub, so I was wondering if there's something special or weird about Tuya, or if it's just incorrect.

I am in the US. Are there any "much better" options that others haven't mentioned here yet?

The hue one might do ya easily programmable

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.