Turning Switch ON/OFF every 5 minutes during daylight hours

Hello, I am setting up a switch to turn on/off every 5 minutes during daylight hours. I did not want to use mode for daylight hours as it is used in other automations. I set up a virtual "Sunlight" switch which I turn on at sunrise and sunset with Simple Rules. I also turn the fan on at sunrise at off at in the same rules. I then have two Rule Machine Legacy rules. One is triggered when the switch is turned on. It turns the switch off with a 5 minute delay if the Sunlight virtual switch is on. The other is triggered when the switch is turned off. It turns the switch on with a 5 minute delay if the Sunlight virtual switch is on. This works most of the time. However, when sunset hit last night the switch did not turn off. The Sunlight virtual switch was off. This morning it cycled 3 times before it got stuck in ON. I turned it OFF in HE and the cycles took off. Any thoughts as to what might be happening to cause the switch not to turn on or off? Is this the best way to set up a 5 minute on/off scenerio? I just checked and it is stuck ON again.

Just a filler as to why I am doing this. I have a spa in my pool that birds see as a large bird bath and they can sometimes leave deposits before they leave. I purchased a 2 foot ballon guy that fills up and dances around when on. It seems to be doing a good job at keeping the birds away. However, I would like to minimize the use of the fan, hopefully extending its life. 5 minutes on/off seems like a good approach to use the fan only half of the time during sunlight hours.

probably has nothing to do with the rules.. more likely the switch is missing one of the commands.. is it outdoors. etc.. we need to see logs to see if it actually is getting sent the commands as i summized but due to mesh issues. is missing the command.

1 Like

Ok, I found a way to insert my rules. The first is on at Sunrise:

Next is Off after 5 minutes:

Now back on after being off for 5 minutes:

And finally, shutting evverything down at sunset:

Here is the log for the switch. It just stopped at 8:23 in the on position:

Log - Blue Guy

As an aside, is turning the fan on and off every 5 minutes going to cause more wear and tear than just leaving it on?

4 Likes

I've got to see this in action!

2 Likes

Why not something like this with the new predicate conditions in Rule 5.1?

With that being said, I would think it is a device or signal issue rather than a rule issue, but this would be pretty easy to try out.

5 Likes

Fan motors have a large initial in-rush of current to get them moving. This will cause far more wear than just running it constantly. A realistic looking owl statue would probably give you the same result. Best to find one that has the head move in the breeze so birds don't get use to it. The eyes are really the key to this working.

3 Likes

Neonturbo, thank you for the information on predicate conditions. I was not aware of this new feature.

1 Like

Lewis, Thank you for the information. I think I will just change it to on at sunrise and off at sunset. Something in the timing does not work and as you point out, the on/off for the fan is probably harder on it. I am in Arizona, so I also thought the 5 minute rest would let the fan cool down from super incredibly hot to just incredibly hot. Hopefully, the fan can take the Arizona summers.

The owl was my first attempt. Snakes were the second. Then a floating duck. The birds kept coming. I have had this in place for a week now and have not seen any birds around.

Jamesislate,

Here is a picture of the guy. The system would not let me upload a video:

4 Likes

If you could shade the motor it could help with the heat since you're in Arizona. There's about a 10 to 20 degree differential in the shade.

Good point. I will look for some type of shade. Actually, it is closer to a 40 degree difference between the sun and shade here. A park ranger proved it to us.

Wow I'm use to Texas heat. It sucks sun or shade.

1 Like

You have the humid heat. Arizona really is a dry heat. 105 in the shade with a breeze is ok. 110 sucks sun or shade.

2 Likes

110 in Texas starts killing people.

Thank you so much for this... I'm off grid and my wife loves those plug in 35 watt sensei wax warmers and now I have a wife approved application. Warmer on and off every 15 min = 50% savings on solar!

@Stinger Just keep in mind that flipping a switch on and off a lot will wear it out faster. May not be much savings if you have to replace the outlet every two years or so.

Thanks have switch at every 30 minutes.