Turning on an Innoveli Dimmer at a "minimum" level

Im trying to reduce some of the delay in turning on some of my dimmers that have higher minimum dimming values.

In particular I have one light that only starts to come on when its at 40%, but what I would like the dimmer to do would be to start turning the light on at 40% and then go up from there. So i dont get the ramping delay going from 0-40%

Is this possible?

Yes, you just need to change parameter 5, as described in the manual. If you're using Hubitat's built-in driver, they do not expose this as a preference. However, you could use the Basic Z-Wave Tool to do the same (parameter 5, size 1, value 40 or whatever percent works for you; 45 is the max per the document).

Alternatively, if you are using Inovelli's driver, then they have this as a preference in their driver ("minimum level," also labeled as number 5). Note that some features in this driver work differently than they do in Hubitat's driver, though unlike Hubitat's, it exposes pretty much every feature of the device (most notably, all 5 taps and not just the first two; some button event names are also different from Hubitat's driver, so take note of any apps that depend on these events if you have any such automations set up and you switch drivers).

The links above are for the Red Series, LZW31-SN. However, the LZW31 should have similar options.

3 Likes

Hoping to get a bit more light shed on this. I have configured parameter 5 to be set to 20, but both from within Hubitat and via the local paddle controls, it still allows me to dim lower than 20 set in parameter 5.

From the screen shots, it allows the switch to dim to 12 even though the parameter is set to 20.

Setting the parameter makes the dimmer scale the real values you send and receive in order to fit into the range specified by the minimum and maximum level parameters. That way, you always set and get the standard 1-99 range.

In other words, the behavior you see is normal. If you are trying to figure out a new minimum value, I'd suggest setting it back to 1 and then testing again before setting the value.

1 Like

makes sense. no wonder when I was messing around with it, the dimming levels seemed to be haphazard. Thanks!