TTS guide?

One of the great things about the Sonos devices is that you can use them to play any mp3 file you want. I have a few mp3 files stored in the Files area of my Hubitat hub that I can then play using Rule Machine based on any trigger that I want. It works great, and with no custom code!

1 Like

I'm sure any intruder will appreciate that.... :wink:

I consider the smoke/co detector in the garage a bonus.
The house didn't come with one-I just thought it'd be a nice thing.
No false alarms yet, knock on wood.
I have an Ecolink Z-wave Chime Siren that does the siren very very nicely.
Voice announcements are clunky-you have to record .wav files.
Once you do that, fine.
Not flexible though.

I'm getting closer......

Can the volume be modified in a Rule?

If you see it as a home-baked "nice-to-have", then I guess it's fine, but I think if you want a level of security that you can rely on more than what a disparate group of companies can deliver, then I think a system built and tested to work on it's own feels more comfortable to me.

I can't say for certain, was more of a general comment... I hope so.... If you can.... then that's a plus....

Yes, the volume of a Sonos device can be adjusted via a Rule.

2 Likes

I ordered the IKEA one to try out.

3 Likes

Check out this app for connecting the speaker. I am using it and the ability to TTS speak over a music stream worked wonders for the WAF.

1 Like

I finally got the IKEA Symfonisk speaker and the TTS works great. (I now have audible notifications when someone comes to the door).

However, I have a strange issue, I wonder if anyone has come across?

The volume on the IKEA Symfonisk speaker increases by itself. I can turn the volume down (via the button) or set the volume via the Hubitat devices page, but randomly, after a while, the speaker increases to max volume.

Has anyone encountered this? Or have any suggestions to resolve?

I can’t recall if I had that same problem or not. However, I do typically specify the optional volume argument when making a TTS call. That way the volume on my Symfonisk speaker is always correct.

For example, here is an example from the built-in Hubitat Notifications app.

1 Like

Thank you. That's a great workaround.

1 Like

After a day or so, the volume increased. It's quite loud. I have the rule (image attached) set the volume at 10 (I assume this is 10%?). Yet, it seems to ignore this parameter.

Any ideas? Thanks,

My stuff uses a 1-10 scale, so what happens when you set it to 5?

I tried 5, and then 2. No difference. The TTS is still very loud.

What happens if you try issuing the Speak command directly from the Sonos Speaker’s Device Page? This takes the application you’re using out of the equation to help focus on where the issue is occurring.

1 Like

Great suggestion!

I did that, and with a value of 10, very quiet. 100, very loud, and values in between work as expected.

This suggests then that perhaps the Basic Rules app is not honoring the volume level field?

That’s what it sounds like. Maybe try using the Notifications app, or possible Rule Machine instead?

You could also try recreating the Basic Rule to see if it is just the one BR that is messed up somehow.

Thanks, I’ll look into those suggestions. Appreciated.

How does one submit a bug fix request?