TTS doesn't work

I hope someone can help.
I have 2 google mini speakers and one Lenovo smart screen with google assistant.
With the Rule Machine I create a simple test rule to send a audio notification.
But none of my smart speakers do play the notification.

When I go to Devices and for example I go to Home mini bedroom, I can go to "Speak" and put a text for test speak. But also this don't work.
In the even details, I see the following:

Event Details

id: 373119
Date: 2023-03-20 13:38:00.870
Name: command-speak
descriptionText: Command called: speak
isStateChange: false
physical: false
digital: false
source: DEVICE
type: command
deviceId: 47

Does something go wrong? The same test also don't work with Lenovo Smart Screen.
When I play some music on the Home mini bedroom, The mute button and stop button also don't work.
I add the devices with the app [Chromecast Integration (beta)(http://hubitat/installedapp/configure/18)

I hope someone van help me. What is the reason I cannot play (and hear) audio notification.
I also changes in the Settings > Hub Details > Default Text To Speech (TTS) Voice to a English voice. But also English doens't work. I'm Dutch, so default voice is Dutch for me.

What goes wrong?

In the Chromecast Integration, the link you provided does not work. A screenshot of the page would.

I understand that you used the Chromecast Integration to discover your speakers. Do you have polling enabled? I have polling enabled for 60 seconds between polling status. I only have one Google Home Mini speaker so your setup is more complicated.

What do your Events and Logs for each speaker show? This is a screenshot of the events for my speaker:

Also, here is a rule to initialize the GH speaker every 30 minutes. I found it works best if I have this running.

I hope this helps you to get your speakers working.

Hi @StephenH , Im sorry, I did not attached a screenshot.
It is the link to the app.
When I go to Devices > Home mini bedroom, I don't see the option "Pooling".
So I don't know pooling is enabled. Or can I find this option somewhere else?
I'm sorry, I'm a beginner of Hubitat :frowning:

You make a rule for initialize the speaker. Is this to know if the speaker is active? What does this rule do? I also did read to give the speaker a fixed ip address. Did you give your speaker a fixed ip address?
Because when I look in the data, I see the following:
Data * model: Google Nest Mini

• uri: 192.168.2.25:8009

But I cannoit ping this IP. When I search my network with the tool Advanced IP scanner, there is no IP address 192.168.2.25. Maybe this will be te problem?

Just to make sure this is clear... The option mentioned above, to select the Hub's TTS Voice, only works when using Hubitat's built-in TTS support for Sonos speakers. I use an IKEA Symfonisk speaker (made by Sonos for IKEA) which works incredibly reliably using this built-in TTS functionality. This has been the most reliable TTS solution I have found with Hubitat, and thus I recommend it over trying to use Google Home or Amazon Alexa devices for TTS.

Using the Chromcast Integration (Beta), the TTS functionality is being handled completely separately by the Google side of things. The Hubitat built-in TTS feature is not being used whatsoever. The same is true if one uses the Echo Speaks community integration for Amazon Echo devices.

Hello @ogiewon and @StephenH ,

I think I did have solved the issue.
I saw the IP address was changed.
So, I did first a new discovery with the Chromecast Integration (beta).
Then it find the latest and correct IP address.
I have set that IP address as a fixed IP address in the router via DHCP.
No I can control the smart speaker. Also TTS.
But I find out in most cases its important that the ip address is fixed.

3 Likes

Yes. Reserving the IP address in your router is one critical step. I should have mentioned that.

I think instead of pooling, you may have meant polling? That is what my initialization rule is doing. I found that before I made that rule, my Google Home Mini would drop off periodically. It has been much more reliable since I made that rule.

In any case, I am glad you got the TTS working.

1 Like

Hi @StephenH , Yes I mean polling.
I will look to the Polling.
But I don't know how to create the rule. I'm sorry, but I cannot see the correct rule from your screenshot. Can you tell me how to create?
Thnx for helping me!

I'm at work currently, but can post a screenshot later today if you don't have this sorted out before then.

1 Like

Okay. Here are a couple of screenshots that may help.

The Initialize() is what is doing the work. The periodic schedule is what tells the rule when to execute the Initialize command. Why it needs empty brackets () I don't know, but that is the way it works.

1 Like

Here's another trick if you're interested. You can play media files stored on the hub or another LAN location...

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.