TTS and Sonos

looks like i had to delete rule machine app as well...that finally worked...So fustrating since I had so many rules already setup and now have to re-do them.

Back to not working.

If you have a rule firing notifications, post it here. Might be a better way to trigger TTS that someone can recommend, but we need to see what you're doing to begin with.

Here is a screen shot of the rule....

Funny thing, I can put an individual contact sensor and it works fine.

I guess I am missing something or not doing something right.

What's the (random) for?

For mine, I separate all my sensors into individual rules because I've noticed the same thing about individual sensors working better and I can pause individual announcements depending on various conditions (weather, guests over, etc).

interesting approach.

1 Like

I've tried deleting the Sonos app and all rules again...Sonos app reinstalled and it shows up in the device list. But now when trying to do individual rules, the Sonos is there to select as a speak device.

Tried rebooting and deleting everything again, same result.

I can control it from the device section perfectly fine.

Sonos devices don't show up as speak devices, only as music devices.

interesting, see attached.

Shows up as both.

1 Like

Huh. I never noticed it was in both! I always use music device because you can control the volume there.

So apparently TTS cannot handle a bunch of sensors to monitor.

Group a few together and it seems to be working, so far at least.

2 Likes

Maybe that's it. However, I do notice that you have Nancy Garage Sensor twice in that rule. Not saying that's it, but it just stood out.

Yea I saw that but its two separate sensors...

OK so only individual sensors and rules work...If I group them together and multiple sensors are open, TTS will not function.

I am little frustrated with Hubitat right because they have not emailed me back on my tech support request.

Let's start with the basics. Does going into the sonos device in the Hub Web UI and putting something in here:

and clicking Play Text, does that actually work on your Sonos?

Rule Machine uses the same method, so if this doesn't work, then its not RM, its something with the sonos speaker directly. Possibly an IP address change?

yes it plays...

Static IPs have been assigned.

Single rule with a single sensor TTS work
I have a group with 3 sensors, if one is opened, It does TTS
If one remains open, and you open another, it does not TTS
Adding a group of like 15 sensors, does not work.

Ok, let's take a slightly different tack to isolate if the issue is RM and nothing to do with TTS.

Try just setting a virtual switch (create one first) on the group trigger. See if the results are what you expect.

Please let me know the results.

When you use a Rule, for it to take action the rule-truth must change. So if the rule is already true because one of the sensors is open, opening additional sensors will not cause anything to happen.

You should use a Trigger, not a Rule for what you want to do. With a Trigger, each trigger event will cause the action. This is what you are describing.

Whenever there is a Rule with a single Condition (your case), and there are only Actions for True (also your case), that should be a Trigger.

This is all explained in the Rule Machine Introduction, here:

4 Likes

Ok that seems to work...I'll keep testing and report back of any issues.

My apologies and thank you!

looks like the rule and trigger event is the issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.