Trying to get TTS to speak to work on a Google Home mini

I have plans actually to use the respberry to set a VPN to access my modem remotely and be able to create automation/rules when I am not home and as well for the web-cast-api so the raspberry PI 3B would work I guess right?

1 Like

Correct

1 Like

Hi. Will the web-cast-api run locally once set up in the raspberry? Or cloud based that I will need internet to get the TTS notifications

This is local if you want to use the Hubitat TTS. If you are using the Google Assistant TTS voice, then you will need internet access.

I am a bit confused. both are using the google assistant but one through Hubitat and the other is through the web-cast-api (using the raspberry) is not it ?? sorry , kind of new on this stuff..

Not nessecarily. Web-Cast API can do both. There are two parts on Hubitat. One is the parent app. If you create an action in Rule Machine to speak a message, that will use the cloud and go to all of your google home or Chromcast enable devices at once.

If you create an action to speak only to one of the clild devices (meaning a specific Google Home or Chromecast enabled device), then you will be casting to it over your local network. Hubitat will process the text and convert it to speech locally and then cast it to a Google Home device or Chromecast enabled device.

However, there is now an option in the driver that lets you use the Google Assistant Voice (default female voice only, at this time). If you enable that voice, your message will go to google's cloud will be processed and then spoken on your Google Home or Chromecast enabled device using the Assistant API. Google doesn't process or generate any TTS on device. That is all done in the cloud.

The first time for any phrase requires the internet. After that the hub caches it and can play it locally. Your Google home will always require an internet connection no matter which integration you choose.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying Chris. I didn't realize that. Though the Google Home devices allowed casting without an internet connection. Good to know.

I believe the casting is local. Also believe the Google home is more or less a brick if it cant phone home.

1 Like

I am planning to use a raspberry with the web-cast-api because if I use the hubitat built in option I have noticed that it will randomly sometimes not work. Is there a trick or specific configiration needed to make it work most of the times? If is local there should not be a reason for it not working sometimes I guess but anyways sometimes is not speaking

The built in chromecast integration is still beta and has some kinks to be worked out. I believe others have seen some issues where things stop working

If you search the forum a bit you may find it.

once I set my raspberry with the cast-web-api I guess I have to remove the native " Chromecast Integration (beta)" from Hubitat to avoid conflicts between both apps right ??
And other question is if the Hubitat Rule Machine will still detect the devices as voice devices once using the cast-web-api ??

I have bought my raspberry PI B3+ and started the installation but I am getting errors. Those are the steps that I have followed:

1.- I went to the github Release v1.2.1 · vervallsweg/cast-web-api-desktop · GitHub and downloaded the APPIMAGE armv7

Then for Linux it says to install the version of node.js for the version of linux that I have but as there are no specific instructions on how to do it then I found in the internet those steps and followed them:

those are the steps I found in internet that I have to follow to install the node.js:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Install-Nodejs-and-Npm-on-Raspberry-Pi/

After that I followed the instructions of the youtube video for macOS

and when running npm install cast-web-api-cli -g I got those errors:

can somebody help me please??

Did you try running the commands prefixed with sudo, or opening a superuser shell and running it?

1 Like

As @JasonJoel said, use sudo. So for example...

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo npm install -g cast-web-api-cli

Not necessary. I have both running. No conflict.

Actually, you need to run

sudo npm install -g cast-web-api-cli --unsafe-perm

There is an issue with permissions for the google assistant which is fixed by running with unsafe permissions.

Also, you have to make sure that you are on v8 of NODE.

Hmm, I don’t remember having to add unsafe, but whatever works is the right thing :wink:

If you're running on a Mac it doesn't seem like you need them. But on an RPi, I had to. It gives an error when you try to do a broadcast that the google assistant module isn't found.

1 Like

I will try later today once back home with the solutions you have provided.
I have a question. What should I do with the file that I downloaded from github? the ones in red rectangle. just let them in the "downloads" folder or copy paste them somewhere? or execute something on them??

regarding the version. I have followed the steps from the web https://www.instructables.com/id/Install-Nodejs-and-Npm-on-Raspberry-Pi/ and it installed the version available there which is v10.16.0 (I know it from where I put the "code node -v" in the terminal). So I guess per your advise I have to downgrade to version 8, can I get it from the downloads page from node.js ?