Trying to find out if Hubitat is for me - it seems kind of scary

There are great package deals on Lowes Iris devices (used) on ebay. There are or were sensors on there for between $5 and $10 each if you buy a 6 or 10 pack ($30-50 as a bulk purchase). Check the supported device list to be sure you get the correct versions. I splurged for the newer Iris motion sensors and paid closer to $12 each, but the older ones are much cheaper and supposedly work fine.

I have also successfully used the Iris contact sensors as well as the outlets. I bought 8 door/window sensors for $35, and two sets of 5 outlets for $100 ($50x2). There are lots of other deals if you don't mind used. I have had really good transactions with Alex_Sari and discountpros2013 with the Iris stuff.

I am also on the fence - Hubitat or SmartThings? We need to access heat and some lights remotely for a second home. Weak internet signal. Have all Z wave or Zigbe thermostats, motion, etc.
Not interested in too complex events yet, but concerned mostly about connectivity.

notwithstanding, if you have poor connectivity and require to have remote control of your home, then neither will work very well. having said that, Hubitat does not rely upon the cloud for rules and such, so it will work better than ST every day of the week.

I would say Hubitat is for you. It’s fast and super reliable and surprisingly bug free.
Most devices can port over from other hubs like mine did from Smartthings.

It is a local solution and that is its strongest asset. But it also makes connecting remotely harder. Of course you can use the Hubitat app

I unequivocally can say Hubitat is a quality product and it blows away the competition

don’t worry ... you won’t need to write a line of code.

I got here trying to find the Roku code but all and can find is one for TVs not streaming players that ANY TV can use.

I lost track of how many "unsupported" devices I got working by using ST code. I think my Yamaha NVR was one such item. Good luck finding that code now. MyQ, WeMo, etc. All from ST projects. No Hubitat drivers yet, look for a ST one and see if it need fixing.

From personal experience, I know that @armand's code works with Roku streaming players.

Also, far be it from me to stop you from expressing yourself, but reviving threads from 1.5 years ago (or longer) isn't particularly useful for anyone.

2 Likes

this one?

Yes. That is the only one from @armand.

1 Like

Wooohoooo! It works. It took about 1/2 second to find my Ultra using the App and then probably less then minute to do the rest. Watching a very serious episode of The Pet Collective for few minutes to unwind. I just got the Ultra today. I am waiting for Power Transformer to arrive from Amazon so I can repair a light ballast. I have my doubt it will get here as promised.

1 Like

Glad to hear it.