Trying to build a device handler for IFTTT webhooks for Wyze cameras

Hi all! This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a few days. If this a better place to put this post, please let me know.

Like many people here, I started on Smartthings and I started moving over a few days ago. I'm starting by integrating my cloud devices (ecobee, MyQ, Ring, etc.) before I start migrating everything from ST.

On ST, I'd created a very basic virtual device which combined a switch and motion sensor so that I could trigger the switch via IFTTT to ,in turn, flip the sensor state. However, I've discovered Hubitat has the Maker API which I figure I could use with IFFF webhooks to make something better. Here's my vision...

I want to create a virtual Wyze Cam device that mirrors as many of Wyze's IFTTT capabilities as possible:

• Motion Sensor
  • Sound Sensor
  • Carbon Monoxide Detector
  • Smoke Detector

Creating a basic virtual device which includes those 4 capabilities seems pretty easy, but I don't know if I need to expose commands in order to change sensor and detector states via IFTTT webhook or whatnot. And if I do, I don't know how to do that. While I'm familiar with RESTful APIs, the Maker API (and how it interacts with devices) is new to me.

Thanks!

If you find that IFTTT is not working fast or consistently enough for you and you are an Android person, there is another option that I use.

I explained it in this post concerning a Eufy Doorbell but i do same for Wyze Cameras:

I have two issues, but neither are speed.

1. My original solution used a virtual switch, but that's very much a hack. I had plenty of hacks in ST, but I'm trying to do things right, now.
  2. I don't think a switch even solves my problem. Since a device can have only 1 switch and I'm trying to update 4 values, I think a direct update via webhook is the better way to go.

As for phones, I'm an iPhone user. I do have several Fire HD tablets, though. I haven't played with tasker, but I could look into it. It seems like a viable solution and may have more widespread use cases than IFTTT. However, I still need the device (probably even the same device I described above) to capture everything, right?

By my estimations, regardless of whether I use IFTTT or tasker, the device code will be pretty much the same, right?

Ok, so I've actually written something. I'm new to home automation in general and HE in specific so it's probably not elegant, but it'll do the job. I will double check the code tonight and post it in a new thread along with instructions for using it.

It basically treats the Wyze camera like a multisensor with an on/off switch by maxing out the Wyze capabilities exposed by IFTTT:

Turns the Wyze camera on/off
Detects motion, sound, smoke, and carbon monoxide

There are lots of clever people here so I'm excited to get into it and contribute where I can!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.