Trying to Add TP-Link Kasa KS205 Matter Switch

Migrating from ST to HE C8 and now hung-up on my first Matter device. Things were going so well...

I removed the KS205 from HomeKit and from ST, reset the KS205 to factory, and started with a New Device in Hubitat, using the Matter device type. After seeing the directive to prepare the device on a different platform, I backtracked and reinstalled the KS205 in HomeKit and set it to pairing mode. I made sure not to close the prompt on HomeKit and wrote the pairing code down, then entered it in Hubitat. All I get is a spinning wheel and no response.

Okay, so I decided to put the KS205 back in ST and address it later. Now, I cannot get ST to completely re-install the KS205, though it does a whole lot more than Hubitat does. I get messages from HomeKit saying it has passed the device to ST, but ST throws a "Something went wrong error" at the last point of registering the device.

Anyway, I cannot find any help in the Hubitat Community posts, so I'm opening this one. I will be forthright and say, I have no interest whatsoever in installing the Kasa app or running something that is not for the long-haul. We've all waited far too long for Matter to be something for Dummies.

I have installed 8 of these in the last few weeks. I used GH to commission them and its been flawless.

BUT I did connect each one to Kasa App to update the firmware first. Then deleted them from Kasa.

Try factory resetting again, connect to Kasa to update firmware, mine are running 1.0.2.

2 Likes

Thanks Jason. I'm going to first do some investigating into whether there are any traces of the KS205 in previous installations. I saw in another post that it's a possibility. I have 2 of these KS205s and both initially installed to ST without issue, though ST uses a somewhat different approach where the user doesn't have to handle the pairing code twice, nor leave the ST app for anything.

TP-Link has this webpage for troubleshooting their Matter install: Troubleshooting Steps for failing to connect a Matter Device with another smart home platform | TP-Link. After following their advice to delete and reset the KS205, clear caches, and reboot my iPhone, it really appeared that ST was going to complete the setup. That is, the attempt to register the KS205 timed way longer than previous attempts, but ultimately failed.

I'm being stubborn, I know, but I don't want to install any 3rd-party apps to run outside of the hubs, even as a stepped process. If it won't work by installing directly on the hub, I will just find a different product (if I were already heavily invested I would probably feel otherwise) . And having to use Apple, Google or Amazon as a bridge is also rubbing me wrong. ST did a decent job of making this look not entirely obvious, though it was obvious that Apple was utilized in the process. I'm sure Google or Amazon are used on an Android device.

I obtained the Matter devices for experimenting. I have a Sonoff Matter device that installed to ST in the same manner as the KS205, and I've not yet attempted to move it. As of right now I cannot see where Matter is of ANY practical advantage to the end user. Saving $10 or even $20 on a device, only to have to waste hours of my time, at my age, is not my idea of thrifty. When you are younger you think of all that time to tinker when you retire. Not so. So much left to do and so little time to do it.

I like to have updated firmware on devices that support it. So I will probably connect kasa again someday to update them to the current version so it's not a waste of time for me. But it may not even help you anyway. Just a troubleshooting step. Literally takes a minute or two at most.

1 Like

That solved my issue.

2 Likes

Good to hear. I have now installed 12 of them. I must say they are a great simple, fast switch and they dont look bad either.

I wish Kasa would soon come out with a matter 3 way kit for them. They say its coming soon.