Troubleshooting Schlage Lock, Zniffer, Security Keys

Hi All,

I'm attempting to troubleshoot why my Schlage locks continue to be problematic. As such, I'm diving into the world of sniffing Zwave traffic with the help of the drzwave.blog site. =P

One issue I'm having, though, is the security keys I'm getting don't seem to be valid.

To get them, I'm using my Zwave (non-Zniffer) stick that's joined to my zwave mesh, and then saving out the keys from PC Controller. But, the S0 Network key, when given to Zniffer for an encrypted packet, says "Invalid Key".

So my first question is, can I get my HE hub to give me the S0 Network Key directly?

Once I've got that, maybe I'll be able to see something not working, but so far, things look fine sniffing-wise. I'm no doubt well outside normal support boundaries with this. I'm hoping once I get key(s) that actually work I can capture a significant amount of traffic and find one of the "storms" between the HE hub and my lock. Apparently (this is what I understand, and may not be 100% correct) there's a known issue, albeit unknown cause, where Schlage locks will say something, the hub will say the packet is corrupted and ask the lock "what?", lock will respond, again corrupted, rinse repeat until the mesh is flooded with this traffic and things "stall". Hoping I can help provide some data to help diagnose.

Thanks!

@mike.maxwell

HE does not support secondary controllers and so does not share the security keys. I have had a Zstick connected to my HE hub for many months, and I can see and control everything through that Zstick, except my secure devices.

1 Like

Curious. I've not seen anything stating they don't support secondary controllers. Have a link to anything?

Also, anything that joins securely should get the keys. S0 keys are shared by all devices...

Worries me though that if this is the case, those of us with tools to try to help troubleshoot likely can't since I'm assuming HE staff can't pull the security keys, and therefore would not be able to decode encrypted traffic even if we gathered and sent to them. =/

The stick you added is a secondary controller, but only as much as other Zwave remotes and I assume scene controllers are secondary controllers. I have several Aeon Minimotes that make excellent tools for excluding and resetting devices. They can be the sole tool for controlling a room full of Zwave lights and switches, no hub required. But they also perform quite happily joined to Hubitat as a button controller.

1 Like

As do I. Very useful devices. Wish they had replaceable batteries!

1 Like

Sorry all. Really don’t want to be an butt, but while interesting, this doesn’t really help the topic.

Hoping @mike.maxwell Might be able to confirm/deny secondary controller support and answer if the keys can in any way be pulled from hub directly to assist in troubleshooting.

Thanks.

They do if you are willing to do a little soldering! @destructure00 discussed this in the SmartThings community a few years ago:

1 Like

Not currently supported

Not possible, but the S0 transport key is sent on device inclusion.

Thanks Mike. I wonder why PC Controller then seems to have the wrong S0 key... at least according to Zniffer. =/

But when it comes to z-wave button devices, only button controllers that support the CENTRAL scene capability can be button controller is hubitat. They might sometimes be able to act as secondary controllers but that is not their role in Hubitat. It it was, they would have to be directly associated with another device at the device level. But they are not.

Is the support of a "secondary controller support" an implementation (software) or hardware issue?

Its not really important which it is at the moment since it's not on the radar for implementation on current hardware.

1 Like

I'm still not clear why the zwave stick would have incorrect S0 key though. Any hints there? I know we're outside support at this point... just looking for ideas.

Dunno, I have a separate dedicated sniffer stick, ive captured S0 keys for at least 20 different home ids.

1 Like

I've got a zniffer stick too. Maybe I should just sniff while it does key exchange and get it that way (if possible). I've been trying to get it via PC controller, a separate Zwave stick, and grabbing the keys there. =/

That is how it's done with S0

Good to know! I thought something I had paired would have had the S0 key. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!