Trouble with GE Smart Fan Control (12730) and Google Home

No, that is not possible. I understand how you want it to work. But there is nothing any of us can do about it. It is up to Hubitat to fix.

This is the feature preventing me from making the switch from Smartthings to Hubitat. I've had my hub pretty much collecting dust for almost a year and am really surprised this issue still hasn't been addressed.

Because of Fans sycing to google home?!? Really??? That's a little surprising since there are so many different ways you can get it to work. It seems a little crazy to make something like this the lynch pin of your whole reason for staying with ST.

I don't think it's crazy - it fails the "wife test" :stuck_out_tongue: . Smart devices are supposed to make life easier, and it's hard to justify losing such basic functionality when switching platforms.

My point is there are ways to get it to work through google home the same way it would if the fan capability was implemented. You wouldn't "lose" anything. How much are you losing by staying with ST? Even if you didn't have the fans working...the wife prefers to have NOTHING work a lot of the time? Just seems like an odd trade-off to me.

The only thing I'm losing by staying with ST is the ability to run many of my routines locally - which is the main reason I want to switch to Hubitat. You're exaggerating when you say "nothing" works a lot of the time - I have 60+ devices and they almost always work, albeit some routines occasionally suffer from a delay due to not running locally.

In any case, we use GH in most of our rooms, and not being able to say "Turn on the lights" without the fan coming on (yes I know I can put the fans in another virtual room, but then I lose the ability to say "Turn on the fan"). So yes, I am losing functionality.

I think the majority of Hubitat users are technical people, but we have to remember that not all family members are. I need to keep things simple for them.

We are going off on a tangent and the point of this thread isn't to convince me to switch to Hubitat (they already have my money anyway :stuck_out_tongue: ). The point is to get Hubitat to integrate properly with GH so that we don't need to implement workarounds or IFTT integrations to get features that should be supported natively and run locally.

1 Like

And my point is, if you wait for that, there's a good chance you never geet to install that Hubitat. :slight_smile: The integration has not been updated since it was launched.

The saddest part about this whole situation is that it is probably just a five-minute fix.

The change itself? Maybe. The whole process? Far from it. Any changes to an integration with Google Assistant has to be tested using the platform's test suite. Then all of it has to be reviewed by Google. That back and forth can take months. It's a major investment in time and money.

Well, if they ever invest the time and money to take care of this and anybody in this thread notices, please comment back here and let me know. I would really like to move my ceiling fans over from SmartThings and sell my smart things hub. I really want to be all in with hubitat. For now I just have only my fans on the smart things hub and have both smart things and hubitat linked to my Google account and everything is working how I want it to.

1 Like

This post makes me want to pick up a smartthings hub just to run my fans. I have 8 GE fan switches in my home and 6 (soon to be 7) GH devices. While using the "fan room" trick keeps me from accidentally turning on my fans when I ask GH to turn on the lights... I have a really hard time controlling fan speed from GH. (I try and use full names but I just haven't figured out the magic incantation to get it to work.) I inevitably just get out my phone and do it with the dashboard app but my wife and kids refuse to do that. I moved from Wink about a year ago but this was one thing that worked better on Wink for me.

Could also do it in node-red + NORA on top of Hubitat. Fans work fine in NORA.

Hi all! I am also having the problem where my fan shows up as a switch, but I might have a suggestion for a not too hard solution for voice control.

Make 3 virtual switches. Fan High, Fan Medium, Fan Low, all with auto off configured. Make a rule that when a switch is turned on, change the fan to its representative speed.

Expose the switches to google home. The trick is you will need to make a google home routine that has EVERY phrase you can think of that someone might say. Quiz your household.

"Turn the fan to high"
"Turn on the living room fan to high"
"Change the fan to high"
"Turn up the fan"
...All these would be routine phrases for "Fan High" activation. Adapt it to new phrases when someone complains its not working.

This works best with one fan to lower permutations of phrases. Otherwise, you will need to copy this arrangement for every ceiling fan you own and get creative for how to map each routine to a room.

Added bonus: you can use a physical button board to map to these switches for maximum wife acceptance :slight_smile:

Good news! I implemented the idea and it works great. Took about 15 minutes to set up and the wife approves!

I would highly recommend this integration. [Alpha] Community-maintained Google Home integration

Takes a bit to get setup but soooooooo worth it!

Putting in my 2 cents of ASK TO DEVS FOR MODIFYING GH INTEGRATION. Yes I understand its work and just know it would very much appreciated by me and others it seems.

Thanks Robert

Would also like GH integration of the GE Smart Fan Control so that it shows up properly and not as a dimmable light. The current integration works if you use a percentage when speaking to GH but the response is not ideal. I can live with it as long as it is not in the correct room. It would be nice if there was a way to change the device type to a fan so that it could be kept in the same room. I tried all the usual generic zwave types and nothing seemed to work.

So, I'm in this thread because I have the same problem. I'm running Hubitat's Google Home app and the Google Home Alpha app.

I still don't have my 3 speed ceiling fans working correctly. I can't believe this issue is still ongoing.

Installing Google Home Community Alpha was quite a bit of work. I just want my fans to work.

What gets Hubitat to do anything with their product?

1 Like

I'll also chime in with the same issue. I just switched from ST and cannot believe that such a simple feature has been ignored for so long.