Trouble with c8 zwave

After I shutdown the hub to put it on the power brick and booted it back up, the zwave had been reset. I went ahead and hit reset again just for good measure and it said it succeeded. So there's currently 1 device that I have readded to it.

Ok I assume you are going to try adding some more devices and let us know how it goes?

Not sure if you planned to try and migrate youy automations from the C4 to the C8? (I think the zwave cannot be migrated from that model correct??) You could reset the radio again and try that migration once more if the Z-wave seems to be working better now? You will want to do that before adding too many devices to the C8, since you will want to reset the radio before doing the migration.

If you do migrate you hub database from the C4 to C8, you will also need to go into each Zwave "device" in the devices list, and edit the NetworkID, adding something like _OLD to the end. This will prevent DNI conflicts when you start included devices to the C8. Once you get devices included with new device entries, you can then move your automations over with Swap Apps or manually, and then finally remove the old device entries.

1 Like

The c8 using a poe injector with a unifi switch will cause z-wave failures. Use the oem power supply if this is the case.

1 Like

OK, I've had it on a power brick for 4 days now. I did a soft reset and a zwave reset. I added one device (a zooz switch) that is a few feet away (see picture). There are no other devices or config. It still takes 10+ seconds just to turn the light on/off and the one node fails when I do a zwave repair.

Can you post your z-wave details page?

Seems strange that as the only device connected to the hub that it shows 15 route changes

2 Likes

@bobbyd hardware at this point?

Yes, but unlikely on the hub side. @jrgrisham, could you please exclude this device and try another?

@jrgrisham on a second thought. Before you exclude the device, do you mind flipping the antennas on the hub and see if that fixes the problem?

1 Like

That and the repair failing is a give away that the device isn't communicating properly with the hub. Could be a bad switch, or maybe an issue with hub's antenna.

2 Likes

Rotating the antennas upside down didn't fix the issue.

No, I meant to switching the antennas around (physically - replace the left antenna with the right one).

ok i swapped the antennas, no change. Then I excluded the device and added a different one that is still in the same room. Had a lot of difficulty getting it added (as usual). And it is still doing the same thing (very slow to turn on and off). It also fails repair.

Well, this looks like an internal antenna issue. Please create a warranty case by visiting below page. We will send a replacement as soon as possible. Thanks for your efforts:

1 Like

Also, when you receive the replacement, could you please perform the same one device test with provided power supply before you move the hub to permanent location and start adding more devices using the alternative power supply, if you plan on using poe again.

Yes, I will perform the same steps first.
I really want to use POE but I'm scared to now.
Is there a known good adapter?
This is the one that I currently have.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HS6NDM2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Most people that had issues it was with Unify and even trying different adaptors it did not work. There are people using other PoE sources with the same adaptors that failed with Unify, with no noticeable issues. If things work without PoE at least you have a baseline, and then you can try the PoE and see how it works. I think you said up above somewhere that you did NOT have Unify, so there is a good chance it will work (although still not officially supported by Hubitat).

Ok so......good news and bad news.....The bad news is that the new hub did the same thing out of the box with only 1 device added and no other config.
The good news is that I think I figured out what was causing it. I think its the ethernet port. I switched to wifi and it is working great. Night and day difference. Normally I would never consider using wifi but my WAP happens to be really close and open air from the hub so I am OK with it. Plus the hub doesn't really use it for anything other than management.
I would think it has to be some kind of firmware bug on the nic. There shouldn't be a way for the nic to make other things run slowly. I am using a Cisco SG500-52P with the POE disabled. It may have something to do with green ethernet (802.3az EEE) or some other advanced feature that consumer routers don't have. I'm a network engineer so if y'all want me to help you try to narrow down this problem further let me know.

You could put the hub behind an old dumb 10/100 switch. That should drop anything unusual coming from the rest of the network.

1 Like