Trigger Issue with Simple Automation Rules

I'm new to the community. I just migrated from Wink to Hubitat. I created an Automation Rule to turn off my Garage Lights when I turn off my Dining Light. When I turn off my Dining Light from the physical switch the Garage Lights remain on. When I turn off the Dining Light with my Alexa device the Garage Lights stay on. However, when I turn off my Dining Light through the Hubitat Mobile App or the from the website the Garage Lights will turn off. For some reason the rule is not triggered when I physically or through voice command turn off the Dining Light. Is there something I'm overlooking or is this a limitation in Hubitat? My hub is the C7 version with the latest updates. My smart switches are GE smart z-wave switches. Not z-wave plus.

It sounds as though your device is not reporting properly. Let me guess, it's an older Z-Wave device??

Turn on the logging for the app. Open a tab to Logs, then try it and see what shows up.

1 Like

Bruce has some great advice.

I would also consider using the bullt-in Z-Wave Polling app if these are really old Z-wave and not plus. The older switches don't report status, and can mess things up that rely on getting a report back.

Wink and others poll constantly using the power of cloud computing, so you likely didn't encounter this situation in the past.

Don't overdo using polling as it can slow the hub and/or the Z-wave mesh with these constant status update communications.

The best thing is to replace the switch with a newer version, and move this to a less critical location. Zooz (thesmartesthouse.com) often runs sales, and you can replace these switches for about $25-$30.

2 Likes

Thank you both for responding so quickly. These are older switches. I believe I purchased them in 2017 or 2018. To confirm your theory, I edited the rule to use my Family Light, it uses a new z-wave plus switch, rather than my Dining Light to trigger the rule. The rule worked perfectly. Thank you again for your assistance.

3 Likes

Ok that confirms it. as @neonturbo Simply add z-wave poller (a built in app) and that should do it. I would consider though upgrading your light switches over time to z-wave plus versions (700 series if you can) or my personal favorite, Lutron Caseta.

1 Like