Trigger - iphone & wireless charger?

I've done some searching and I don't believe there is a way, but thought I'd ask here to get other ideas. What I would like to do is to turn on my white noise machine when my iphone is placed on a wireless charger (only used on my nightstand). I was thinking of iOS shortcuts with Maker API. Ideas, thoughts?

Unfortunately I don’t thinking “is charging” can be a trigger in shortcuts.

I wonder if the charger draws enough current to be detected by a smart plug?

@april.brandt built something like this for her android phones.

I was afraid not, thank you anyway.

Been there, done that. Failed miserably. The voltage spikes, but with the advanced tech with charging, it stops drawing when it gets close to 100% thus causing a false "not charging" trigger.

You cold do it with tasker or something similar for iphone, but it's unpredictable. Having some type of trigger like a contact sensor has proven reliable for us.

You could setup HomeKit through homebridge and use an NFC tag.

I will say that one of our users used tasker and/or sharptools that when the phone was charing upside down, it triggered a rule. Here is the thread. Or at least what I could find on it.

AFAIK there’s nothing really like Tasker on iOS, maybe with a jailbroken device (and I’ve never actually looked into that, TBH)?

We did find out in this thread that there’s at least one unscrupulous iOS developer out there who is apparently trying to capitalize on tasker’s name and icon though!

@ogiewon posted a solution for detecting when you are in bed. I went this route with two sensors, one on each side, and this is my wife’s favorite automation I have done.

1 Like

I don't think in Hubitat it's possible but I was able to trigger events based on my phone charging in HassIO

I have tasker running on my android, when i plug my phone in, it turns on a Virtual Switch in HE.
Unplug phone, and Virtual Switch turns off.

You could use the v/switch in a rule!

EDIT - Sorry - Just seen you have IOS - No idea on apple sorry!!

I think you should look at sharptools for ios and see if that will work for you. I see that they have a free version to try, so you're not out anything but your time.