Trigger help in RM

Here is what I would like to do in RM but not being successful with:

Door is unlocked externally by code AND door opens then turn on light and shut off after 2 min pending cancellation.

Here is what I configured:

I believe it is not executing because unlocked and open did not occur at the same moment.

I don’t want this as a rule because then the light will always be on after the door is unlocked and open or left open. Just want this to work in the scenario above.

Thoughts?

Use a rule instead. When you make one of the trigger conditions also the trigger, then both of those conditions have to be true when you use the AND operator. In other words, the door would not normally be opened at the time it’s unlocked, so the trigger would activate, but the sum of the conditions would be false.

Here's my logic....at least based on a few assumptions.

• We can't currently distinguish between when a lock is opened physically or via the keypad in RM
  • the door has to be unlocked before it can be opened

Based on these assumptions, including the "Front Door unlocked" isn't necessary..just the front being opened. I would simply create a trigger (not triggered rule) with "Front Door Open" as the Trigger event and "Light on" with "Delayed Off: Light 2 minutes" as the Action. This would seem to accomplish what you are looking for.

That's a good distillation of it Stephan. I was trying to simplify the rule logic, but you very nicely simplified the overall logic.

@aaron you just want the light to come on when you open the front door right? What @stephack is saying is just make the open of the door turn on the light. And for that you can also just use the Simple Light app too. :smiley: Also, you may not want this to occur all day long, so you could add a restriction to something like Sunset to Sunrise.

1 Like

Cancellation is only available in a Rule, not in a Trigger or Triggered Rule. There has to be a rule truth change for cancel, and triggers don't provide that, they just trigger on an event.

@stephack @SmartHomePrimer

Appreciate the assistance! I will look at going down that route using the delay off like I am doing but remove the door unlocks part.

@bravenel

When HE/RM supports keypad will there be an option for the lock being unlocked by keypad? My ultimate goal is for the light to go on for people entering the home not leaving. Hence why I was trying unlock/open as a combination which isn’t working. Though after noodling on this I have to unlock and open the door to leave. Hence my question surrounding the future for keypad unlock and if I would be able to accomplish my goal of light on with entry and not exit.

1 Like

That logic sort of makes sense to me, but not entirely. Why don't you need to see what you're doing when you leave the house?:wink:

This is the primary reason I don't have a smart IR sensor in my foyer. Every time I walk through that area (which is constant because it's at the base of our stairs), I need a light, no matter what. So if an LED comes on for 2 minutes when you leave the house as well as well as enter, are you really going to notice the difference on you electric bill. I will hazard to guess no, and you'll be able to see the threshold as you cross it.

This already is supported, for both Security Keypads and Locks.

You could have a rule or trigger fired by a specific code being entered into a keypad, that then unlocks a lock.

I always forget this was removed a while back. I haven't created any new rules in a while and my memory is stuck way back in the good old firmware 1.0.whatever days. :blush:

It was removed from the UI because it never was meant to work, nor did it work, it's conceptually a contradiction. It was simply a UI goof that it showed up in the first place.

1 Like

Lol...that didn't stop me from adding it to a ton of rules and assuming I messed up somewhere else in the rule I was creating. Remember this was before the RM shroud was lifted and my eyes were still shaded in the sweet shadow of webCore logic.

So with the locks is there an option for RM “unlocked by code” verses just unlock?

I'm pretty sure the lock only sends a code event on unlock. That's pretty easy to find out from the logs.

Have you tried this yet? A simple test will answer your question.

Are you concerned that the lock could be hacked by capturing the unlock command? This shouldn't be a concern with Z-Wave Secure pairing.

I believe he wants to configure actions based on who unlocked the door (or if the door was unlocked via keypad at all) . These options were available in ST with Rboys code and Lock Manager. I'm hoping this will be available as well once Mike gets the HE lock manager ready for prime time.

1 Like

This is available NOW with Rule Machine. Lock Code Manager has nothing to do with taking actions based on who unlocked it, but rather with setting up those users and codes. You can do that yourself right now.

Before you get all concerned about encryption and security concerns, just try this: Set up a code in the lock from the lock device page. Give the code a name too. Those names will show up in RM as options under Lock Codes. Pick a lock code name for a trigger (or condition) in RM, and then fill out the rule for whatever you want to do. Try it.

Really?....dang it. I've been waiting patiently all this time for something that already existed. Will test it out now.

@bravenel, when I paired my locks, I believe it kept all the codes I had previously set up in ST. I have never setup a code in HE. What do the inputs under Set Code represent?

The upper one is the code itself, like 1234, and the lower one is the name for it. I think you get a default name if you don't supply one.

The number is which code (1 .. 20), then the two values above.

I tried a few options while looking at the logs and figured it out...but I dont see an option for lock codes under triggers.