Transitioning from Complex Vera System to Hubitat: Seeking Advice

It's reassuring to hear that a single Hubitat controller, particularly the C-8 Pro with its enhanced memory and CPU, should be capable of managing my system of 200 devices effectively.
Thank you

I'm located in Canada, I see that they have a different hubs for the "USA" and "North America" ... I'm curious about the difference between the two hubs. Given that they should have the same frequency, what distinguishes them from each other?

There is no hardware or software difference, believe the only difference between the two may be the shipping partner.

1 Like

Are you suggesting that by learning Node-RED, I could install it on my Windows computer to manage all my automation rules and programming logic there? I assume this would alleviate the processing load from my Hubitat controller and utilize the capabilities of my computer for handling complex automation tasks. If so, would adopting this practice be advisable, or could it potentially complicate my setup unnecessarily? (I mean, if it was Vera, I would definitely pursue this approach, as offloading processing tasks off Vera was essential due to the limited CPU power of the Vera controllers. However, I'm curious if a similar strategy would be necessary with Hubitat)

i have over 200 devices if you count both zwave and zigbee on a single c8 pro.. i also had them on a c7. and c8 the issue with the c7/c8 was memory issues after a week or two.. c8 pro alleviates that.

only about 100 are zwave however.

the key with doing it with a single hub is a strong mesh and placment.. make sure it is placed in the center of the house both up/downstairs wise and length wise.. to get coverage in all areas.

Why certainly. That's what Node-Red is there for :smiley:

Node-Red runs on top of NodeJS, which is the base for dozens of useful home automation tools. NodeJS runs on any modern computer from a RaspberryPi to a Mac, Windows or Linux. The only criteria in this case is that it be installed to an always on computer.

Because it runs externally to Hubitat, YOU get to determine the CPU and Memory capabilities.

"necessary" is an objective word and it is not necessary. You have, however, a good grasp of the benefits.

1 Like

In the end, they are not that different, they both have a database of devices, and it includes the unique device ID, the address of the device in either the Zigbee or Z-Wave world and the name us non-silicon based devices use to identify them.

When you look at the quasi backend, like when you export a rule, it is still referencing the unique ID. Ultimately, I suspect that there's a "find and replace" happening in the background when you swap a device.

Also, when you look into two of the main built in automation tools; either Rule Machine or Simple Automation Rules, there is a copy/export option. When you copy a rule, one of the steps is that you get a prompt of the devices in that rule and the ability to select from your list of devices of similar type to change it to.

As an example you have a rule that when you open the Front Door then Light A turns on. You can copy this rule and change it to Back Door and Light B.

and I would say to your comment..
"allow me to gradually replace the virtual devices with real Z-Wave devices without needing to adapt any programming."

the term without is a bit strong; I would say minimal adaption, but I suspect you already know that.

and faster CPU

"I currently do not have any zigbee devices, 99% of my devices are Z-Wave. I assume Hubitat can handle all standard Z-Wave devices, right? I'm hoping to avoid any unexpected surprises in compatibility (for example, my Vera controller did have some small issues with some 'Homeseer Z-Wave devices,' although nothing major, mostly poor battery level reporting)

Who needs silicon or carbon when you're a superior photon-based being? Minimal adaptation is all we need to conquer the device world :innocent:

In terms of DSC interface,I've setup "Envisalink" board to "transmit" all the alarm devices to Hubitat.
(THere is a custom interface to Envisalink boards).

That's also currently what I use with Vera :blush::tada:

In my search for information on integrating my roller blinds controlled by the RFXCOM RFXtrx433XL device with my future Hubitat smart home setup, I haven't been able to find official documentation. However, based on a few old posts I came across, it seems that RFXCOM 433 may not be supported by Hubitat... Can anyone confirm if this is still the case or if there have been any updates regarding RFXCOM compatibility with Hubitat?

It's using a 433.92MHz transceiver so not directly compatible. Might be someone on here that has come up with a solution though.

A single Z-Wave network can support up to 232 devices, with up to 4 hops
Hmmm, is this true? It seems to me that only 1 hub might be too tight for my setup to

If you are close to 232 then I would consider a second hub just from the ZWave imposed limit standpoint. Processing power wise one hub would normally be sufficient. @bcopeland is the resident ZWave wizard if you need to do a deep dive.

2 Likes

Hubitat may be able to work with these old devices. But you should really replace them. All they do is create opportunities for frustration, especially with such a large device count.

2 Likes

I’ve compiled a list of all the Z-Wave devices I currently use in my Vera setup, which you can find below:

Aeotec… AL001…Touch panel
Aeotec… DSC06106… Smart Energy Switch
Aeotec… DSC17103… Micro double switch
Aeotec… DSC18103… Micro switch
Aeotec… DSC19103… Micro dimmer v2
Aeotec… KeyFobGen…Key FOB controller
Aeotec… ZW074…MultiSensor
Aeotec… ZW078…Heavy Duty Smart Switch (Gen 5)
Aeotec… ZW100…MultiSensor
Aeotec… ZW116 (139?)… Nano switch
Aeotec… ZW117…Range extender
Aeotec… ZW120…Door/Window Sensor
Aeotec… ZWA005… MultiSensor
Chromagic…HSP02…Motion sensor
Dome… DMWD1…Door/Window Sensor
Ecolink…TBZ500… Thermostat
Ecolink…TILTZWAVE2.5… Tilt sensor
Enerwave… ZWN-RSM1… Micro relay
Enerwave… ZWN-SC7…7 button Scene controller
Envisalink… EVL-4…DSC House alarm
Everspring… SM103…Door/Window Sensor
Everspring… ST812…Leak (flood) sensor
Evolve… LDM-15… Plug-in Lamp dimmer
Evolve… LFM-20… Relay module
Evolve… LOM-15… Outlet receptacle 5.4
Evolve… LRM-AS… Light dimmer 5.4
Evolve… LSM-15… Light switch
Evolve… LTM-5…Dimmer (transmitter) 5.3
Fibaro… FGMS-001… Motion sensor
First Alert…1044817…Smoke detector
GE… 45631…Keypad controller
GE… BT4101… Bluetooth switch
GE… ZW3003… Light dimmer
GE… ZW3005… Light dimmer
GE… ZW4008… Light switch
GoControl…LB65R6Z-1…Dimmable Light Fixture
HomeSeer… HS-LS100+…Leak (flood) sensor
HomeSeer… HS-MS100+…Motion sensor
HomeSeer… HS-PA100+…Plug-in switch
Honeywell…TH8320ZW… Thermostat
Jasco…45603…Plug-in switch
Jasco…46560…Auxiliary switch
Jasco…ZW2001… Auxiliary switch
Jasco…ZW3010… Light dimmer
Jasco…ZW4001… Light switch (3 way)
Jasco…ZW4002… Fan control
Jasco…ZW4005… Light switch
Jasco…ZW4008… Light switch
Keene…Iranywhere… TV remote control
Leviton…DZMX1…Light dimmer 5.4
Leviton…DZPA1…Plug-in switch
Leviton…DZS15…Light switch
Leviton…VRF01-1LZ…Fan control
Leviton…VRPA1-02A…Plug-in switch
Leviton…VRPA1-1LW…Plug-in switch
Linear… FS20Z-1…Relay module
Linear… LB60Z-1…Light bulb
Linear… PS15Z-2…Plug-in switch
Linear… WD500Z-1… Light dimmer
Linear… WS15Z-1…Light switch (3 way)
Monoprice…10797…Smoke detector
Neo…WR02ZU2PK…Plug-in switch (mini)
Philio… PSM01…MultiSensor
Qubino… ZMNHAD1…Micro relay
Remotec…ZFM-80… Relay module
RFXCOM… RfxTrx… 433 Mhz transmitter (for blinds)
Sonoff… Wi-Fi Mini… Light switch
TkbHome…TZ78… Micro switch
Weiser… GED2150…Door deadbolt
Zooz… ZEN31…12/24V dimmer
Zooz… ZSE18…Motion sensor
Zooz… ZSE40…MultiSensor

Given the extensive list of devices, I’m curious about the compatibility of these devices with Hubitat. I’m wondering if anyone here has experience with integrating similar devices into their Hubitat setup. Specifically, I’d like to know:

Where can I find reliable information about the compatibility of these devices with Hubitat?
Based on your experience, how much trouble should I expect in integrating these devices into Hubitat?
Any insights or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Claude

First principle:

1. Anything that's on the official list of Hubitat compatible devices is no issue at all
    List of Compatible Devices | Hubitat Documentation
    Second principle:
  2. Anything that uses the standard zwave protocol will not be an issue
    (The device may pair as something else, but all you have to do is change the driver)
4 Likes

it's a positive aspect of Hubitat

I see you have some GE/Jasco and Leviton devices in your list. In general, these do work with Hubitat. However, I would like to caution you about OLDER generations of equipment.

Earlier Z-Wave devices from GE, the non Z-Wave Plus devices, do not report manual/physical status changes reliably to Hubitat. As such, this often becomes a source of frustration for users who have these devices. While Hubitat can 'poll' these devices periodically for status updates, many users find that solution unsatisfactory and simply end up replacing these old devices with new, modern devices.

Also, early Leviton Z-Wave devices may have a similar issue. However, I seem to recall that many of these devices can have their firmware upgraded which improves/resolves their performance.

3 Likes