Tradfri outlet not responding

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller :slight_smile: A few months ago, I upgrade from the C7 to the C8, everything has been working as expected. Earlier today, I noticed a device was on, that is usually off. The device is connected to an Ikea Tradfri outlet. The outlet is on a power strip with two other Tradfri outlets controlling some lights and such.

Some background - I have probably 40+ devices in my hub (with quite a few Tradfri outlets). There are no custom jobs that touch this outlet. This outlet is located directly next to some other outlets that were purchased at the same time a few years ago. I can turn the others on and off. The hub is on version: 2.3.5.152

What I have tried:

• Changing to a generic device type, saving, going back, changing back to the built-in ikea driver.
  • Hitting configure, in every iteration / combination you can imagine.
  • I was going to try install a custom driver but since the others are working fine, I don't think it's that.
  • I restarted the hub, no dice.

What I noticed:

• If I turn on one of the other outlets on the same strip, I will see "some device bla bla turned on" in the logs. When I turn this outlet on, I just see: "on() called..." like it's trying to call on, without a device id.
  • when I click configure this is what happens in the logs:
    refresh...
    configure...
    it doesn't do anything and immediately goes back to refresh.
  • the bin state is 1 : not sure what that means, but the other outlets the bin state is -1.

I could remove the outlet and re-pair it but:

• its not really in a super accessible place so I'd prefer to understand what happened and figure out how to prevent it from happening again.
  • I'd also like to know when something has gone wrong like this. Is there some sort of automated way to say "something has changed in the way this device communicates" ? I know i could setup all kinds of notifications like - this device that is usually off is suddenly on for more than x mins, but thats not really helpful, it clutters the apps unnecessarily.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

Sounds like the device dropped of the mesh. There's a litany of reasons that could happen. Re-pairing is going to be your best bet.

For monitoring:

I used to have 6 or 7 Tradfri outlets. I am now down to 1 or 2. I found them to be unreliable over time. They tend to overheat (even with no current draw), as a prelude to malfunctioning. With the symptoms being those that you describe. You can reset/re-pair them; however, in my experience, they'll go bad again .....

2 Likes

Good to know @aaiyar , thank you. Out of curiosity, did you ever find / do you know of an alternative that does not have the overheating issue, or at least has it less often?

Thanks for this, I'll give it a shot. I'm guessing like @aaiyar mentioned, it most probably overheated, it is located in quite a warm area, so it's possible that did not help things :frowning:

I use Innr outlets. I also have some non-UL listed outlets from eWeLink, but I use those with very very light loads (like <2 Amps).