Top 3 most used smart products

HE was a given considering where we are writing this :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

1 Hubitat
2 Node Red
3 Sonos/Hue

Don't skimp on quality. Hence: Hubitat, NodeRed, Sonos/Hue.

2 Likes

Yeah Hubitat is on the elite list

2 Likes

You would think, but I see posts on the forum all the time from people that say they're not using HE anymore, and have switched to (whatever), yet they're still here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Speaks volumes for this community!

2 Likes

I do use HE, and it is the central point of my home automation. It does speak volumes about the community, that is for sure, this is the only community I even bother to be active in.

2 Likes

In order of importance to me:

Software

1. Node-red
  2. MQTT
  3. Google Home
  4. Hubitat

Hardware:

1. GE motion dimmers
  2. Google Home
  3. Smartthings leak sensors
  4. Konke humidity/temp sensors
  5. GoControl thermostats
3 Likes

Interesting 3rd and 2nd on the software/hardware

Family uses google home to adjust LOTS of things based on personal preference where automation can't meet the need... fans on/off/faster/slower, dimmers up/down, goodnight routine, etc.

All google home integration done through node-red/nora.

1 Like

There isn't much left that's worth using now is there?

1 Like

Interesting. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon and learn Node-Red. The terminology is so unapproachable though. I look at that and it reminds me of trying to learn the language of sailing.

I don't know what Nora is.

1 Like

Hey! Top 3 only! :joy:

2 Likes

Do it. You won't regret it. There may be some love for your insteon stuff.

1 Like

It's awesome and the terminology is fairly simple - only a few things to learn - node / sequence / flow - maybe connectors & jsonata. Everything else is bog standard javascript terminology for the most part.

My most used smart products right now:

Software

1. Node-red
  2. Hubitat
  3. MQTT edit: I lied.. it's probably Alexa with Ring integration to HE/Node-Red THEN MQTT (really want that to be at the top at some point).

Hardware

1. Hubitat
  2. Aeotec Recessed Door Sensors
  3. Zooz Toggle Switches
  4. (if excluding HE) Ring Doorbell / Floodlights
    (others down the list but still used Echo / Sonos)
1 Like

LOL. Talking to a non-developer here.

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I hear you!!!

Actually you don't even need to know that.. just the concept of a "message" object... thats all. Just a way to pass information from one "node" to the next.. visually quite easy to string things together.. basically connect the dots (nodes).

Hey, that's my line. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the way node red looks the visual aspect appeals to me. It just looks solid

Learn the terminology and then train me

There's a short 2800 msg thread in this very forum that covers this. (just kidding!)

In all seriousness, just go to node-red's site and start reading the documentation, and work the examples. Their documentation is excellent even for beginners. Yes, if you don't want to have to read anything, then node-red is definitely not the tool for you - most nodes have no other documentation than the online "information" pager inside of node-red.

Getting node-red installed somewhere is the hardest part of getting started.

4 Likes

LOL... love it.

2 Likes