Tiny movements

I wasn't sure if there was any better category to post this under.

I'm trying to troubleshoot either...

• device settings
  • or app settings (currently using motion lighting)
  • or placement
  • or whether additional sensors are needed

...for a situation where the lights turn off in my bathroom when my wife is putting on her makeup.

The motion sensor is just above the bathroom door and is centered between the visible areas of the room (there are structural bump outs to right and left near to the entry door). It can definitely "see" her at her sink. However, leaning over the sink and applying makeup seems to be too minute of a motion to register.

I'm using a Zooz ZSE18 sensor with hub driver for it. Sensitivity is set the highest (8). Timeout is 30s.

These are the ML settings (that "latch" is a virtual sensor I toggle in RM to keep the light on when showering):

I can provide pictures or sketch of the room, if it will help.

Thanks!

Without a sketch of the room, it is hard to tell if there might be a better location for the one motion sensor. They are much more sensitive to movement across their field of view versus movement directly toward or away from the sensor.

I would increase the timeout for the time of day she is using the bathroom to get ready to something like 10 minutes.

I personally use two motion sensors in bathrooms to ensure full coverage.

5 Likes

I don't suppose just extending the lights off delay long enough for your avergage makeup application would make sense...?

Other than that I assume you've already validated that the motion sensor sends no events during makeup application?

I use three motion sensors in my bathroom, along with the zone motion app. That might be another option.

3 Likes

@es_ferret

This is exactly what I do as well. Hubitat has a Zone Motion Controller app that lets you aggregate events from multiple sensors.

3 Likes

Extend the off delay. The fraction of a penny you'll save turning it off sooner is not worth the aggravation you're causing your wife.

And adding lots of sensors ($$$) just to save the couple pennies of energy you would achieve by shutting the light off sooner, seems like a poor use of resources.

6 Likes

Not to be outdone - I use three (3) sensors!
Doorway - entry - to enable lights, fan.
Counterheight - specifically for her when she's at the mirror.
Shower - we have opaque shower curtains - occasionally she takes long showers... (of course, I never do!)
I couldn't find a nice looking Zigbee all in one that had motion and humidity, so I have an aquara humidity/temp + a Hue motion in the shower below door opacity height.
The counter unit is above the counter, but faces the toilet for that coverage as well. It is also the temperature sensor for the room as it's closest to human height. (the throne is out of sight of the entry so... for obvious reasons!) It is also the temperature sensor for the room as it's closest to human height.

I also use the zone controller app for aggregation - it works well. Finallly, I added Mode delays - I evaluate the time of day and set the expected length lights to be on with automation. An Alexa Dot in the corner allows for verbal override and room specific control.

BTW - Does anyone use/know about the new Gen 4 Echo Dot (Echo Ball's I call it) that now has motion detection?

Depends on the bathroom geometry. I have a sensor by the sinks, and another one by shower. I aggregate motion from both.

Would she be opening any drawers or doors on the vanity to access her makeup? Perhaps a contact sensor could be used? That said, I tend to agree with just extending the timeout.

Thank you. Duly noted regarding the cost. That wasn't my main concern, but rather whether something was setup wrong that the sensitivity or positioning still wasn't catching her moving. I'll adjust the timing.

I may have another post about a complex hallway lighting scenario, but I want to sketch it out first.

You can also look at the events tab on the device page to see what the device is actually sending... not sure i that will help or not.