Timer for Bathroom Exhaust and Other Lights

I'm having a heck of a time trying to create a timer for my exhaust fan, and lights in the house. The bathroom exhaust I want to have a 30 minute timer; so when the switch is clicked on it turns off 30 minutes later. For some reason this isn't working; any chance anyone could help me figure this out. Sorry for the request.

For some reason it won't let me include the picture of what I've done.

Select Trigger Event
Master Bath Fan(on) turns on

Select Actions to Run
On: Master Bath Fan
Off: Master Bath Fan --> delayed 0:30:00

Welcome to the community.

First of all you don't need to have the switch turn on in the actions section since that already happened via the trigger. If you remove that the rule should do what you expect.

The issue that is going to come up is what do you want to happen if someone turns the switch off manually before the 30 min or turns it off and then turns it back on before the 30 min?

First off, welcome to Hubitat community. Because you are new, it doesn't let you post pictures.

You shouldn't need the On: Master Bath Fan in the actions because it will already be on since that is your trigger. However, I don't know why that would keep it from turning off 30 minutes later. Try testing using a shorter time frame like 30 seconds? Then, enable logging in the rule and look to see if the delayed action is showing up in your logs. Turn on logging for the Master Bath Fan also on it's Device Page.

Makes sense... So with the two you suggested; before the 30min it would cancel, and then if it turns back on before the 30min; then it would restart the 30 minutes.

Thanks for the welcome. I switched over from smartthings after having it for years, and the support seems to have gone away since Samsung took it over. The Hubitat unit works a ton better since it's all local. I have it working with HomeKit, and echo.

Also one more question... I have an exhaust fan for my critter room turn on at specific times during the day, but I don't think I have the correct either.

Select Trigger Events:
When time is 12:00am PDT

Select Actions to Run
On: Exhaust
Off: Exhaust --> delayed: 0:30:00

Although not specific to your thread topic, many of us who came over from ST have kept their ST hub up & running. There is a great community app called HubConnect that will allow devices on separate hubs to sync w/ one another. I keep all of my apps/devices that require internet on the ST hub since it already requires the cloud. I have Echo Speaks, Harmony Hub, and Ecobee Thermostat all on ST hub and just use HubConnect so that I can use those devices with Hubitat. All of my devices/apps that don't need the cloud are installed on HE.

HubConnect just released a brand new update in the last week. Check it out.

Sweet will do. Would love to have echo speaking again. I use a trane thermostat so I'm kinda stuck without any ability with that.

Then checkout Echo Speaks. It's another great community App. There is a ST and HE version.

1 Like

Here is my rule that works. You can make it cancelable if you like but I don't need that. If you are using a Z-Wave switch that is not Z-Wave plus you will most likely need to set up a rule that refreshes or polls the switch. HE does not automatically poll like ST's did.

I'm using a Homeseer WS-100+ on those, and I believe they are z-wave plus? Not 100% on that. I'm not sure if there is a custom driver for the WS-100+/WD-100+.

I think they are. You should be good to go.

They are Z-wave plus I just pulled one. Any chance I'm doing something wrong with the coding on the 12:00am one I posted?

Your trigger needs to be turning on the light, not the the time.

Select Trigger Events:
When time is 12:00am PDT

Select Actions to Run
On: Exhaust
Off: Exhaust --> delayed: 0:30:00

Just duplicate my rule. It will work.

Right but this is for a different one. I have an exhaust fan in the critter room turn on at 12:00am and want it to run for 30 minutes; then turn off. I copied your rule for the master bath fan, and the porch light. I'll see in a few minutes if the porch turns off :slight_smile:

Ah, I see. Well it looks like that is what is going to happen.

Looks like it is all working now :slight_smile:

1 Like

So it only worked on digital. This is how I fixed the issue. Hope all of you have success like I did with this.