Time to Dump Wemo Switches

I have a bunch of Wemo light switches I realy want to get rid of. Looking for suggestions on what are good (zwave) replacements.

I suppose it depends on whether you have neutrals available at the switch or not. I don't in my home so have used Fibaro Dimmer 2 throughout - they can be configured for simple on/off where dimming is not required or the load is not supported. I have all mine with retractive switches fitted for manual control. The Fibaro's work great and I've had no issues. Two minor niggles. The first is that they don't support S2, so including them on a C7 without security has to be done with a secondary controller (Z stick and PC Controller software). The second is that you can't update the firmware without using a Fibaro Home Center (though they are stable so that shouldn't be necessary).

Others options are Aeotec, Qubino or Vesternet who are now making their own Z Wave and Zigbee dimmers. Your options may also be affected by where in the world you are. I'm in the UK.

wemo requires neutral at the switch

1 Like

Depends on how you use your switches, and if you are using them (or want to use them), w/smart bulbs or not. These threads should help...

3 Likes

My main consideration was aesthetics and manual control and having Z Wave dimmer modules in existing switches worked best for me for a few reasons:

1 - Manual control. No-one needs to understand any automation as the switches function normally.

2 - If the hub is unplugged, the switch connected to the dimmer module will continue to turn the light on/off and dim as required.

3 - Ease of installation. Remove existing switch, wire in module, connect retractive switch and configure (I'll skip the bit with the hammer and chisel where I occasionally had to sink a 47mm deep box in place of an existing 13mm one in solid engineering brick :wink:)

4 - If I move home, it'll take no longer than 5 minutes per switch to remove the module and put a standard toggle switch back in place.

1 Like

These work well for "adding space"

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-17-cu-in-Shallow-Old-Work-PVC-Electrical-Outlet-Box-B117RSWR/202077341#overlay

6 Likes

Zooz, Innovelli, or my own favorite of course Lutron Caseta. They're tanks and just plain work (plus you get to use PICO's if you want)

1 Like

Clever, I hadn't seen those before. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I will end up waiting for a bit until the Inovelli Blue Series come out this summer. It appear, at least in Canada, that the Inovelli Red Series is unavailable.

1 Like

Nothing right now is available from Inovelli. They have no stock of anything and they're supply chain is dry. They are looking at merging with another company though...

Are they deep enough for a smart switch? I have used these before for cabinet dumb receptacles but never tried a smart switch.

They're perfect for smart switches. Especially when you have a 100+ year old home, that had gas piping in the walls for lanterns and knob&tube wiring.
I tried the larger Jasco switch(w/ built in motion sensor) and the smaller inovelli reds, both fit with zero issues

1 Like

The blue series looks amazing. I put in 1 order then went back and got more. I'm soon to have some reds up for sale !

My Wemo switches are acting up and I can not wait any longer. I know that Inovelli Blue Series are supposed to be available this July but I'll believe it when I see it.

Unless I am missing something, I don't think Zooz or Lutron is an option for me either. Just rewired my basement fluorescent light bypassing the ballast and installing LEDs. Specs I have found for these switches are rated for a maximum of 150w LED. My basement LED total 288w (12 lightsx24w). Also, I have no need for 3 way or dimmer switches.

:crazy_face: I never knew deciding on new switches would be so hard.