Time For Hub To Re-connect for Remote Access

We recently had a 10 day internet outage. Of course my Hub worked great through all that, with the exception of thing involving the cloud.

Yesterday we finally got our internet back up. I had to leave right after it came on. So while I was out I periodically checked for access with my dashboards. No luck. I was gone about 3 hours, and it never worked.

Got home and re-booted hub. Then remote access started working.

Question is how long should it take for the hub to re-connect to the internet normally? Or would it never do so without a re-boot?

1 Like

Is this not a valid question, or just nobody knows? It’s of concern to me as where we live internet access is always iffy.

Has been a while now since this applied so I can not confirm with 100% certainty. We used to turn our internet off Nightly and automatically back on in the mornings. My Dashboards were still accessible each time when I would double check I shut the Garage, etc. Has this just occurred this once, or has this happened repeatedly?

2 Likes

If the hub is going to connect back to internet, it should be instant as soon as the hub comes online. Maybe within a minute of power coming back? And that is what has happened in my experience, the hub boots and returns to normal.

I suppose if something got corrupted, only a reboot might fix it.

I think some people use a Wifi plug as a backup method to reboot the hub when needed.

1 Like

This is probably the first time I noticed it. Our internet was down for 10 days. When it came back on I had to leave for an appointment. So figured it was a good time to check things while I was gone. I was gone for over 3 hours and never got remote access until I came home and rebootedhub.

There was no power loss or anything like that. Just lack of internet. Hub worked fine locally during the outage. Just never reconnected to remote till I rebooted it.

You could disable your hub's internet access again, wait a while, and then re-enable it, and see if the same thing occurs.

What happened to you sounds like a glitch...I would expect the hub to automatically reconnect w/internet was available again.

2 Likes

It seems like what is being asked is, if HE looses its internet connection, how long before it tries again to connect to the internet? Does it try to connect again every 30 minutes? every 24 hours? etc.? Does it just give up at some point and stop trying?

Tagging @gopher.ny from Hubitat to see if he can chime in on this question.

The cloud piece tries to reconnect every 4 minutes. There's no attempt count limit. The logs on j175's hub indicate just what was described - it could not reconnect to the cloud - but offer no additional clues.

In my experience, the hub reliably recovers from intermittent Internet drops or if cable is unplugged and plugged back in minutes or hours later. Never tried tried to simulate an extended outage, though.

4 Likes

There you go again, ruining a perfectly good thread full of unfounded suppositions and wild guesses by bringing in expertise and knowledge. Sheesh!

:wink:

3 Likes