Tile Builder install?

I wanted to install TB to try but I can't seem to find it.
Under Add User App nothing comes up when I search Tile Builder.
In fact nothing is listed there.

Have you installed the app / drivers through HPM?

May also be worth posting on the main Tile Builder topic:

1 Like

I went to APPS>add user apps> search Tile Builder. Is this the HPM you mention?
Otherwise, how to get to HPM?

Have you read this Topic ?

It's referenced in that Topic, but here's a direct link to the step-by-step:
https://hubitatpackagemanager.hubitatcommunity.com/installing.html

3 Likes

Hubitat Package Manager (HPM) is a custom App itself which makes it easier to find and load custom apps and drivers. Perhaps it might be worth explaining one or two things before directing you to installing HPM....

When people talk about "installing" a custom app and/or driver, there are in fact two steps involved. The first is to save the app or driver code onto the HE hub. This traditionally involved copying and pasting text into a new entry in the Apps Code or Drivers Code section of the HE UI. You would normally navigate to the developers GitHub Repository, copy the text from there, then paste it into a page on the HE hub. HPM has made this first step easier and more convenient by providing a way for users to find and download apps and drivers in an app on their HE hub. At this point the app or driver is not "installed", or at least I wouldn't refer to it in that way, I would say it's "loaded", though I cannot remember how HPM describes it. The app or driver is not running or performing any actions on the HE hub, it is just available to be installed.

The second step then remains the same, installing the app or creating a device using a custom driver. This is the step you were attempting to do. If you have previously loaded an app, either by copying and pasting the code manually, or through HPM, the app will be available to be installed from that part of the HE UI where you looked earlier.

So, the things you need to do are:

• Install Hubitat Package Manager - See here for details on installing HPM
  • Once HPM is installed, locate Tile Builder in HPM and load / install it
2 Likes

Apps code that Hubitat creates is pre-loaded. You can click the Add Built-In app and there it is in the list. :smiley: For community Apps, they must be loaded into the Hub first. THEN when you click Add User App, they are on the same footing. HPM assists in getting the code loaded into your Hub -- that's it.

Hubitat's Driver code is also pre-loaded. You can Add a device and if the driver with a matching fingerprint is found, the new device is assigned that Driver. You can always manually change the driver and all the Hubitat created drivers appear in the list. HPM will load Community developed Drivers into your hub, allowing them to be found in the Type Drop Down where drivers are selected. HPM puts community drivers on the same footing as built in.

3 Likes

That all makes more sense now. I have always just gone the Github route installing apps and drivers, never used HPM.
So I will look at this HPM method and see if I can get Tile Builder going.
Thank you.

HPM just saves you a bunch of clicks... by doing them for you.

Just be aware that when you go to HPM's Install menu, and search by keyword, there's an option for Fuzzy search that is broken at this time. There's a Topic about that, but the simple suggestion is: Use Fast Search.

The next best thing about HPM is that Updates to the code you have already installed will cause you to get a green colored message next to Hubitat Package Manager alerting you to an update you might want.

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 5.47.06 PM

2 Likes

You can still go the manual method, but like @csteele (and many more of us will) suggest, HPM makes things easier. I'd also add that apart from the time-saving in loading apps and drivers, it also has the benefit of handling updates when the developer makes them. Like @csteele just remembered as well :slight_smile:

Once you start using HPM you won't go back. If you have any Tile Builder questions I'm your guy.

2 Likes

Well I gave it a try. Here is what happened.....

Worked for me:

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 6.05.36 PM

Followed by:

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 6.06.20 PM

You can try:
https://bit.ly/3VfykH9
directly from a browser... it will just download the zip, which won't help much but will at least confirm to you that it's a good URL.

If the download works, then the Upload File option of Bundles will work. :slight_smile:

The URL is good in my browser. My C7 hub just won't dl it.

Try the Network Test on the Settings screen. Settings / Network Settings / Network Test. For Ping Host, enter something like google.com as that will also check your DNS.

Well I just don't get it, I do use a VPN being in China, but I have no problems going anywhere, even google, But using Hubitat's network test, google.com fails. In my browser it works fine,

In my hub I can dl apps and drivers no problem. With VPN of course. Can't reach github without it.

The Hub isn't going to use your VPN, that's a 'feature' of your PC, I presume.

But if your browser worked, you have the ZIP in your download folder an you can just pick that file inside the Bundle page:

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 8.42.49 PM

That's what I did, and it is in add user apps now. BUT it won't install as I think it is trying to go to github and DL files to install.

I just got it installed. I activated VPN inside my router to only apply VPN my C7 hub. So when my hub launches, it works through the VPN. HPM loaded fine.

2 Likes