Thoughts on Outdoor Motion Sensor & Lighting

So, I've got three lights on the front of my house that are controlled by a traditional motion sensor and a switch. If the switch is off, the lights are off. If the switch is on, the motion sensor is active. If the sensor detects motion, the lights turn on. If I want to turn the lights on manually, I have to flip the switch on-off a couple times to get them to turn on. Then to get back into "motion" mode I have to turn them off for a while, then back on, then hope the motion sensor takes over. Then repeat as needed or until I get so frustrated I just turn them off and walk away. And recently this sensor started flaking out, so now nothing really works. Probably a good thing...

So I've been looking for a motion sensor and switch I can pair with HE to control these lights. My preference is for a line-voltage powered sensor that has the ability to directly control the attached lights. I found this HomeSeer Z-Wave Floodlight Sensor and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and can comment on if it will function during Minnesota winters where the temperature can occasionally get to -20F (-30C). It doesn't really need to work at these temperatures, just not be damaged by them. It is installed under an eave, so relatively protected from rain and snow.

My plan is to replace the switch inside the house with a Z-Wave equivalent (probably Zooz). I will connect the line, neutral, and ground as needed, but will not connect anything to the load terminal(s). The motion sensor will be wired "hot" by bypassing the switch and always be powered. I'll write the rules necessary so that motion (during hours of darkness) will tun the light on for 15 minutes. And another rule so that if the switch is ON, the outdoor lights are ON.

Am I on the right track as far as devices, installation, and rules? Is there a better way? This will be my first motion sensor and I don't want any unpleasant surprises.

I have no experience with that sensor, but it seems like it would work for you.

I personally have used an Inovelli 4-in-1 sensor in Eastern canada (also under an eave). Has only not yet been a year, but it survived this last winter. It can be connected to power via a USB plug, which is what I now have setup. I initially had it on battery without issue.

It is easy to stick or screw on to the house and looks great.

I have a couple hue outdoor motion sensors and they work very well as well as survived last winter (greater Chicago area).

Both of the sensors were completely unprotected for the majority of the year. I have since repurposed one of them and it's now under our entryway.

Does this work natively with HE or do you need a bridge? I did see it on the list of supported devices but wasn't sure about that aspect. Also not keen on the battery-only power option and the higher cost. But I do like that it's zigbee. Most of my dozen or so devices are zigbee.

The do not need the hue hub, they will pair direct. They use AA batteries which I have yet to need replaced in the two years I've had the sensor, even with my outside temp getting to -17 2 months ago. Highly recommend

1 Like

Yep, they've been flawless.

I'm using dual switch/relay module to turn traditional motion sensor lights into z-wave or zigbee motion sensor lights. The cheapest one is the Moes House (Tuya) Zigbee Dual Switch Module (not the wall switch) like $13 shipped from Aliexpress (one issue is it might not fit into the same junction box)

But since your said motion sensor wasn't working right, so.
However, you might buy a motion sensor replacement from $15 to $20 (if it's Home Depot's house brand Defiant, it's the same as Heath Zennith)

Anyway, this is what I did.
Usually, the motion sensor light has the line voltage (black wire) going into the motion sensor and from motion there is a red wire going to power the bulbs. Remove the cap connecting all the red wires.

The red wire line output from motion sensor goes to the switch 1 input of the dual switch module. So, when some motion is detected (use either test mode, or black taped the light sensor), it will trigger the switch on/off and go to HE to run any rules you like.
The red wires line input to the bulbs goes to the line output 2 of the dual switch module which can be turned on and off by HE.

The Moes/Tuya one also supports 433Mhz RF, so can also use those dirt cheap remote to control the switch too.

1 Like

@mcdull Does this look like the one you use (2-gang version)?

I thought about something like this as well, but I wasn't sure I wanted to go this route. Honestly, I'm a bit leery about hooking line-voltage power up to a $13 chinese switch module. If I do go this route, do you really need the 2 switch version? With only a single switch input (the motion sensor) and a single output circuit (the lights), it seems like the single switch version would work fine. Or is the second circuit output used to "decouple" the switch input from the relay output?

Yes, that's the one I use ($26 for 2 from another seller when there was site-wide sale)
It's not easy to pair to HE by the way, the instruction is pretty bad.
I've also used a little smaller Z-Wave+ one from TKBHome but they don't sell US frequency anymore and cost more.

Single switch version will do if you want the motion sensor always turns on the light or if smart bulbs to be used. I use dual switch because that's what I only have. I also use the motion sensor notification during daytime without turning on the light, so I have them on different switches.

But if you have to buy a motion sensor replacement anyway, might just go with a smart motion sensor for more programming controls.

Just ordered a 2 pack of the Hue outdoor sensors from Costco. Thanks for the recommendations.

I just put up two more in my backyard to assist my dogs and their lighting needs. Spoiled pups.

(Not to mention digging trenches for the additional landscape lighting)