This is fun...with plenty of frustration

My transition from Abode is nearly complete, just awaiting a siren from China. I wasn't sure what I was getting into but I am glad I did it. I have no intention of writing code; I just want to be a capable user. One primary lesson is always check for system or custom drivers BEFORE buying hardware. The second lesson is that somebody has probably already done what I am trying to do and I need to spend more time looking for it. An example, as I moved from Philips bulbs to Sengled, my Aurora controller would pair with HE but not the Sengled bulbs. I wrote some inefficient rules that got the job done, mostly, and then I found the custom driver that did everything I needed. Along the way, I learned about the mirror app.(I do wish there was more in the way of documentation and instructions).
So now, I am all Zigbee integrated into HE. No more Z-wave, no more LIFX or other WiFi bulbs. My Ecobee thermostat is WiFi, my Haiku Fans are WiFi and that is about it! I'll tackle the siren project whenever the boat/plane from China arrives and then I'll rest!!! Thanks to many for their help and paving the path.

3 Likes

Welcome and congrats on the journey!

Just curious. Was there a reason for not having Z-wave devices?

1 Like

As George used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together!" :slight_smile:

Good news, and good comments/learnings above. Glad things are working well and you're finding the tools you need. There is a LOT of stuff available here on Hubitat, both tools/apps/drivers and advice/expertise.

Just in case, want to mention Hubitat Package Manager...hopefully you've bumped into it and are using it, if not you should install it, many benefits. (Says "Beta" but is long-lived, completely solid, and actively maintained.)

6 Likes

Yes, I am using HPM and it has been very helpful. As for no Z-Wave, one of the cautions I did read was to generally pick one or the other but not to mix on the same hub. I wanted a strong Zigabee mesh with mains devices so I went that route. My past experience with Z-wave was flaky performance without dedicated repeaters, especially with my Kwikset locks and GE outlets. So I converted my locks to Zigbee and went to Zigabee outlets, some of which were there under Abode. The RF range on Abode was excellent, but I have enough Zigabee repeaters that it has not been a problem. My mailbox is the longest haul and it has not been an issue.

1 Like

I think the advice to pick a protocol and stick with it is dominantly an expense driven suggestion. Both are meshes and both need repeaters. In many cases, perhaps most cases, the devices themselves repeat adequately and no money has to be spent on repeaters. But when you need them, the need is real. :smiley: But doubling that to have to buy repeaters for each mesh can get expensive.

I have that situation myself because I have multiple hubs with 3 ZWave meshes and 1 Zigbee mesh. The only thing stopping me from enabling another Zigbee has been the expected expense of repeaters.

4 Likes

I'm with @csteele . I would add I'm surprised you gave up the Lifx bulbs (PM me, I will gladly take them off your hands) as they are supported natively in hubitat now. They are truly a superior bulb in comparison to sengled in terms of color accuracy, performance (re:speed) and brightness. Most of us run a mixture of protocols. I run zigbee, z-wave, clearconnect and wifi (local only, not cloud based) and my setup with minimal effort is rock solid.

3 Likes

It's difficult to stay with one protocol just as it's nearly impossible to stick with just one or two vendors. I broke from my ZWave only stance when I had to give up waiting on canopy Fan Controllers and bought 4 of the Hampton Bay ones when they were available. Which meant I also had to buy 4 plug in repeaters for them. The plug in ones get unplugged by my family and thus eventually I had to buy in-wall devices that I don't use as anything but repeaters :smiley:

In other words, technology is fighting us on having a uniform experience.

5 Likes

I bought a canopy module from Home Depot that as recommended in another thread. I plan on using it for porch fans. One of the outlets on the porch is zigbee so should be good as a repeater,

1 Like

I gave up on LIFX because I am trying to get away from cloud-based devices. My internet provider has become far too unreliable and I am tired of continually buying more data from my backup cell provider. I was down to 2 LIFX color bulbs, the others were CT. The whole color thing was a novelty that my wife did not appreciate. I do like warming the CT at night for bulbs in the family room, etc. The Sengled Plus bulbs seem to fill that role well. The only Sengled candelabra bulbs I could find are color but I will be using white hues I expect. Like I said, my wifi devices are down to my thermostat and my Haiku fans. I see there are some drivers in HE for those, but I am not ready to do any automations that are not native to their own apps. I have Zigbee hardware for everything I want right now and Mike has written a driver for the Visonic glass break sensors. So I think I am a happy camper...for now.

Lifx aren't cloud based with HE. 100% local

1 Like

Thanks, did not know that. I had loaded the App but did not understand how it works. Doesn't the bulb have to be registered in the LIFX app, connected to the LIFX cloud, to show up as a bulb in HE?

No. You use the app to add it to the wifi network and that's it. Infact you can turn off cloud access in the app itself. Once the bulb is on the local wifi network, the HE integration will see it directly and load it up. You can even disconnect your internet at the modem level and the bulbs will continue to operate fine with HE... 100% local thanx to @bcopeland

6 Likes

Well, thank you. Maybe I will have a future use for those bulbs.
Larry

2 Likes

Like I said, they are a superior bulb...

1 Like

I disagree with this suggestion. Hubitat supports multiple protocols so why not use them if you have a need? As others have pointed out, you have to take into account the mesh nature of zigbee and z-wave networks, but it’s entirely possible to use both with one hub.

Most of my devices are zigbee, but some are z-wave because equivalent zigbee devices either didn’t exist or weren’t as good.

I’m glad I’m able to use both protocols.

6 Likes

I will +1 that.

And in some cases like csteele mentions, there aren't devices of certain types even available in both protocols. Switches are much easier to find in Zwave. Buttons or fobs seem to be almost all Zigbee. Sensors seem to work better/respond faster in Zigbee. RGB lighting is significantly better with Zigbee than Zwave.

So pick what is right for the job, what is available, and tie them all together with a hub. That is the point of a hub after all, to be able to mix and match.

5 Likes

It is good to hear the positive experiences of the users...the great value of this community. I simply read the cautions about not mixing and heeded those cautions. At this point, though, I am not contemplating the need for any Z-wave devices.

1 Like

Your life is not yet complete.

3 Likes

Yes, not complete...but the time left is less than the time already passed. No time to waste

7 Likes

Having a single mesh certainly makes some things easier. My mesh life is a mess right now.

I started with a C4 hub and had both Zigbee and Z-wave devices on it. It worked well except sometimes a light would drop off. It turned out to be the Sylvania bulbs that are bad repeaters (well know issue). I had these from before I moved to HE.

So I added a C5 hub to do nothing but support my Zigbee lights. All of my other Zigbee devices stayed on the C4 HE. So now I had two Zigbee and one Z-wave meshes. It worked great... until the Zigbee radio died on the C4.

I picked up a C7 hub and moved my Zigbee devices from the C4 to the C7. I have also started migrating my Z-wave devices to the C7 but am stuck because Inovelli devices are unavailable at the moment. I was rebuilding the mesh from the ground up and need a couple of Red series switches in some key areas.

So anyway, I now have three Zigbee and two Z-wave meshes working. Eventually I'll decommission the C4 but I have a lot of migration yet to happen. But hey, it is working for now. Oh, then there are the Lutron and MiLight networks really confusing things. :wink:

1 Like