This is fun...with plenty of frustration

I've got too much...time on my hands.... it's a calamity

3 Likes

Even my LIFX Master app was completely local but @bcopeland's integration is much faster than my user level code could ever be. So much so that even I don't use my LIFX code any more.

2 Likes

And it's ticking away... :clock1:

2 Likes

Just my 5 cents ...
I use Z-Wave, Zigbee and Wifi in a mixup. My window contacts and my thermostats are all Z-Wave. My alarm siren too. All my bulbs are Zigbee from the DIY market ( 2 different brands) and from Ikea. My plugs are from Ikea. My electric switches (for lights - Shelly) as well as my door lock use WIFI. I use 2 Z-Wave repeaters.

All in all everything works flawless and I have many very complex rules and scenes for lights. Switching on one scene for example checks if the Shelly is switched to on, if not it does and waits 2 seconds before switching lights to the desired color and level.

It is extremely rare that I experience problems and even then they are very easy to solve. The most common problem is that a Zigbee bulb stops reacting. Then I simply push and hold the button to have the Shelly to switch of the power and to start a scene again to get the bulb active again.

I run twice in a major problem with Z-Wave. A thermostat stopped working and went without any reason into inclusion mode. I had to include it again and to adopt all the rules. The problem is not Z-Wave but Hubitat. The nodes are stored in a database. The system I used before simply allowed to add a new (identical) device as "Replacement" with a button "Replace device" in the device list that started the inclusion mode and replaced the old device by the newly included in the database. No changes to the rules required. I had the same problem with Zigbee, but all Zigbee devices that I try to include again are seen as an already known device and are by default reincluded as the same device and no change to the rules is required. Please Hubitat do the same for Z-Wave :wink:

What I want to say is that my mixed system works generally very well. I had a way to go to find workaround solutions and to fine tune rules up to very complex rules. I will replace in the next time my Ikea bulbs by the ones dom the DIY market. They work fine, but with a temerature from 2200 to 4000 they are very limited and the other ones go from 1800 to 6500. I aslo plan to install more Shelly switches and use their i4 with their own buttons to control scenes...

With a C7 Hubitat, you can do that. From the Zwave details page, you do a refresh until it fails. It then gives you the option to replace.

3 Likes

Yes, I did it, but it didn't work. Maybe I misunderstood how to do it but my old one still showed up alongside the new one and all my rules refered to the old one.

I've done a Replace at least a dozen times... so it does work... not always the first time, but usually.

You're saying there are two devices in your list that refer to the same physical device? One "old" one "new"? I believe that would only happen if you didn't do a Replace.

Replace of the same device into the same "slot" is not easy. Replace is built around replacing a burned out device with a new/same model. To get an old device to be "new" you need to perform an Exclude/factory reset without the Hubitat Hub knowing.

1 Like

From my experience, zwave and/or zigbee doesn't really matter, BUT you need to make sure you have enough devices to create a proper mesh. I have all Zigbee (40 devices now) + 70 wifi, and previous had 3 of those Zwave Yale locks. That worked like garbage due to a crappy mesh. They burnt through batteries trying to connect and 1/2 the time didn't. Ended up buying the ZIgbee radios for them and now they are flawless. It was just poor communications due to a non-existant mesh.

Long story short, make sure you go "all in" or at least "far enough in" with a technology to ensure the mesh is stable or you will have sadness.

3 Likes

My experience w/Replace hasn't been perfect either, but it has worked more often than not.