Third Reality Hub, possible Ikea control

THIRDREALITY Smart Hub (with power adapter) - Smart Home Automation Hub, Compatible with Alexa and Google Home, enable your Zigbee devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VBHXGY5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_A40T83F2R8ZAFT8DHFD0

I was reading through and it mentions that it can control Ikea lights. That got me wondering if it could control other Ikea devices and if this hub could be controlled by Hubitat.

I just can't stand seeing the dozen ikea buttons in my leftover smart home box.

ZIGBEE COMPATIBLE] It has been successfully tested to work with Philips Hue, Singled Light, IKEA Zigbee Light, GE Zigbee Switch, Sylvania Zigbee Plug and more

I’m certainly no zigbee expert, but I don’t think it’s possible for one zigbee coordinator (i.e. a hub) to “control” another.

1 Like

The reason I thought this is because of how the switchbot hub works with Hubitat, though that may be an API for the hub, I'm no expert on that, lol.

@jnosa899

Phrasing @marktheknife’s point slightly differently - each zigbee network can have a single coordinator.

1 Like

I just realized the mistake in my logic
The switchbot hub itself probably ky doesn't work with Hubitat, just the IR blaster contained inside it.

Yes to integrate switchbot with Hubitat, you need a community app that relies on an API. Switchbot doesn’t use zigbee AFAIK.

2 Likes

Add Home Assistant and then use the HE to HA integration to share HE virtual switches to HA. Set each virtual switch to turn OFF in 500ms (or 1 sec if you like).

Pair the buttons to HA and create automations in HA that will turn ON the HE virtual switches when the button is pressed. The you can use the HE virtual switches in automations on HE. You can also share devices directly such as a lights joined to HE and have the buttons toggle the light via button presses on IKEA (or other incompatible with HE buttons) that are paired with HA.

This will let you use those IKEA buttons and any others that are not compatible or stable with HE. Then, since you would already have HA available, you could also use Home Assistant Device Bridge as well, to pass devices that HE cannot join or are not stable on HE in the other direction, such as Aqara and IKEA sensors, etc. Cloud integrations not supported here, but supported on HA.

It’s a much more flexible solution for unsupported devices.

Later, once you really have confidence in the setup as I have in mine, take @aaiyar’s advice and add Zigbee2MQTT instead of the ZHA integration in Home Assistant. This will let you use an even greater number if Zigbee devices than is possible with the ZHA integration, with even greater control over their settings. With z2m, you can even use Green Energy Zigbee devices. And if you read my post below about the Switchbot local integration, you would be all set to use that too, because you would already have the required MQTT broker running. :sunglasses:

1 Like

This works locally, but you need an MQTT broker. Not as hard as it seems, if you take your time. I did find I needed a Windows PC to do the programming of the of the ESP32. Just one more great reason as mentioned above, to have HA and Home Assistant Device Bridge, and also the HE to HA integrations running.

I’ve been using it with the Switchbot contact sensors (which are excellent for many reasons), and they have been super stable and reliable. But it supports many different Switchbot devices, and there doesn’t seem to be a limit to the number of devices as far as I can tell. I have two sensors on one ESP32 D1 Mini, which cost me just $15 and a little bit of my time to setup. Now it’s worry free. As long as the MQTT broker is running, they can be used with anything that works with MQTT. In my case, I chose to just use his method entirely and bring them into HA and then back into HE.

1 Like