Aqara mini switches dropping out of mesh

I have 4 Aqara Zigbee mini switches controlling my IKEA blinds with the ‘Xiaomi Aqara Mijia Sensors and Switches’ driver. When they work, they work great.

These will drop out of the mesh but are recognized when I include them without excluding them.

Are these just like the Aqara motion sensors that don't play well with HE?

If so, what multifunction button is recommended?

I don't have personal experience with these but I would assume yes that is correct.

1 Like

My zigbee repeaters consists of

Sonoff S31 plug in’s
Sengled E1C-NB7 plug-in‘s
Tradfri repeaters
And one Hampton bay fan controller

I had Aqara motions working on the mesh and then added Aqara temp/humidity sensors. Then the wheels came off.

I now have move the 12 Aqara devices and three tradfri repeaters to a second HE on a separate zigbee channel. It’s been three or four months and no device drops.

2 Likes

Aqara=wheels off has been my experience. I removed all Aqara devices and never been happier. Except the zigbee 3.0 Opple switch, it's a bear to get paired, but after than it's fine

2 Likes

I wasn't aware that that was a repeater.

Mains powered Zigbee devices are almost always repeaters, with few exceptions. Sengled devices are one such exception.

Anyone looking for stability of Aqara and other Zigbee devices that are not compatible with Hubitat should do themselves a favor and stop chasing rainbows. The answer has been available for quite some time. I’m seeing people spend far more on repeaters and then ultimately new devices that gives only some satisfaction, and generates yet another pile of pointless e waste in its wake.

As soon as @ymerj and @tomw created and perfected Home Assistant Device Bridge, I put all my Aqara devices on HA and I’ve never looked back. They don’t drop, they don’t fail, and I can have fun adding cool devices to both HE and HA. Whatever works best on whichever hub, that’s what I choose. I don’t have to waste time, money, effort and experience low WAF with this setup.

Honestly, its the way to go. I’ve read plenty accounts of people saying they spent a bunch of money on repeaters that only slightly helped or did not help at all. But I’ve not read accounts from anyone saying that Home Assistant Device Bridge was a waste. Completely the opposite. In many cases, there’s an old laptop just sitting around looking for a use, and then all you need is a reliable Zigbee controller. That can be obtained for around $20-50.

4 Likes

Wow. I have never had someone label one of my post as E-waste before.

Btw the OPs actually question was

And that is still unanswered.

2 Likes

The devil is always in the detail. :slightly_smiling_face:
On HA with a ConBee 2 stick as an example, they do not drop.

My apologies if that’s the impression you took from it. Not intended to slight anyone or their advice. The fact is, when we give up on these devices because they’re unstable on HE, they don’t often get a second chance.

Home Assistant Device Bridge and/or the HE to HA integration (depending on whichever suits the device type or use case) can give a second chance that many of these devices deserve, and save them from the bin. Typically you can achieve this and much more, for far less cash outlay, and less product (Thus less toxins) required to solve the problem. You can even save an old computer from going to waste in some cases! :v:t2:

3 Likes

I only have two Aqara devices. An Aqara water leak sensor appears to be Zigbee compliant. An Aqara vibration sensor is not fully compliant. I never got it to work until I replaced several older repeaters with Zigbee 3.0 devices. Thus, the cheap Aqara device ended up being quite expensive. If i had to do it over again I would not have purchased the Aqara devices.

I suspect most people who are attracted to Aqara are enticed by low prices. However, this is one situation in which the low prices are no bargain.

Lol I couldn’t resist the jab. I read your reply a couple time and thought - hey, that e-waste was me !!

That said, I have read parts of the home assistant install and thought ugh, I don’t think I have time to dedicate to that right now. Then next thought was I would try them on a separate hub/channel first. As stated, so far so good.

1 Like

I also like the form factor over other motion sensors.

No, it’s all of us. We have a responsibility to not generate more waste than is necessary. I still have all of the smart home gear I’ve ever bought, with the only exception being the ST hub I sold when I moved to Hubitat. The buyer I know personally, and he is still using it to this day. I’m always looking for a way to utilize what I have before buying new, but it has to be reliable. HA -> HE is very easy. As is the HE to HA integration. With the right Zigbee controller, it’s also extremely reliable.

I’ve got my entire house running with just two IKEA repeaters for distant devices. I had them from back when I too was trying to make Xiaomi and IKEA devices stable on HE. It was always short term. Since moving everything that’s not compatible with HE, such as Aqara and IKEA to HA, I’ve never had a drop and everything always responds as expected.

1 Like

Have to disagree. Had I never tried joining them to a compatible controller and bringing them back into HE, I’d likely have the same opinion as you have right now.

They used to be inexpensive, they don’t actually fall in that category anymore. Since Aqara has become so popular, and with the component shortages, the prices are much higher than other devices such as Third-Reality, Sonoff and Tuya. But they are good quality, and they are reliable. They are just not suitable for joining directly to HE.

1 Like

When i purchased my Aqara devices, there were no devices from Third Reality and compatible Tuya devices were just coming on the scene, A few Aqara devices are compatible, but I have no plans to purchase others. I now have purchased other brands of water leak sensors and vibration sensors. I have no plans to purchase other Aqara devices, no matter the price.

Glad you found what works for you.

Since my initial post, and realizing these drop off the mesh because ‘they do that’, I have made a habit of using each button at least once a day. So far :crossed_fingers:none of the 4 have dropped off.

Update

Had one drop out yesterday. The other three are still present and functioning. I expect the others to drop out soon even though I press the button several times a day to wake them up.

Anyone use the Sonoff SNZB01 button controller? It is on the list of compatible devices.

This was an expected reply. Years of people saying “I got it covered. No problem. I can make these stick to the hub. It’s just a coding issue. It just needs the right repeaters, etc.”

It’s not going to change. It’s the Silicon Labs controller. Xiaomi and many other non-compliant Zigbee devices don’t like it. It’s not software. I can take the HUSBZB-1 from my old Hubitat hubs and set it up on Home Assistant, and the Xiaomi devices will still drop. It’s using the same SiL radio that the current hub is using. Same results.

Now if you instead connect a ConBee 2 or TI based controller to HA, the Xiaomi devices are stable. It’s just the way it is. The easiest and most sure way to use these devices is linked above. And I honestly have a hard time understanding why anyone wouldn’t want to go this route, because it not only solves the Xiaomi device issue, but also opens the doors to a massive amount of other devices and integrations that are not otherwise available on HE at this time.

3 Likes

Can confirm.

Agreed 100%. Haven't tried a Conbee stick, but I've tried a few different TI-based controllers. Just want to add that even with a different controller, it is still important that the repeaters in that mesh are Xiaomi-compatible.

2 Likes