Thermostatic radiator valves

I only see Thermostats by Heatit, rather than thermostatic radiator valves?

Oh right. Sorry about that. It is coming soon.

I have 2 EU z-wave radiator thermostats headed my way for drivers now..

2 Likes

One is a Eurotronic Spirit Z-Wave Plus

and the other is

2 Likes

Fibaro

3 Likes

There is also a Eurotronic Spirit Zigbee one - would that also work? I'm trying to stick with Zigbee at the moment as I have some repeaters for that...

The Amazon reviews on the Fibaro scared me off - so I'm interested in the Eurotronic one!

I would not recommend Eurotronic (Aeotec is the same). Got 3 installed and about to pull them off. They have a known issue with them and only work best when polled rather than report on change too.

Oh my.... OK! This is really hard - not a small investment and I do need this to work reliably (or my other half won't be very happy it!) :grinning:

Now I'm thinking maybe I should just go with Netatmo as it seems to be reliable and just miss out on the advantages of running this locally... :thinking: I'll just use Hubitat for everything else........ :thinking:

That's just my experience mind and how I want mine to perform/act.

Why would you want netatmo in hubitat anyway? Also if it broke... :rofl:

I'm not a purist when it comes to running things locally, but do see the advantage... My main concern is simply that it works reliably. It seems people are finding that the Fibaros break quickly in terms of mechanics... So yeah.

In terms of the Eurotronic ones, was the problem with the software side (which presumably will get better, with Hubitat looking to support them) or with the hardware itself?

The other issue Ive found is every week or 2 it would go bonkers and lose control and fully close the valve and greatly overshoot. Goggle it, it's common regardless of platform.

quick search..

1 Like

Not sure..

1 Like

I have a tendency to make stubborn devices work..

2 Likes

:thinking: Well if they are doing this it might be a bit harder.. But we will see

2 Likes

I just want to say: as someone who is new to this: this thread has already blown me away in terms of the helpfulness of the community and the staff. Absolutely amazing! Thank you!

4 Likes

Anytime

1 Like

I use a mixture of valves. All are danfoss based (Z-wave) but there are slight variations between them - danfoss lc-12 and lc-13, popp and devolo. The popp and devolo are the same as each other (I think) but are both better than the danfoss valves because they report the room temperature and also seem to be more responsive. The biggest problem with them all is that they only wake up every so often to receive new commands so as not to use up the batteries, and also if buying them new and not from ebay they are mighty expensive, but that said, generally still cheaper than the fibaro units. There are community drivers that work fine with these.
Note though that any 'new' product of these will still be old, Danfoss have discontinued them and replaced them with a zigbee based trv called ally which I haven't found any where yet, popp has been taken over by aeotec so changed theirs to be the same as the aeotec model, and I'm not sure if the devolo is still available or not as hard to find anyway.

I've made a few posts on this topic but you'd need to search.

Basically, I tried smart Trvs and didn't have a great experience. I wanted reliability and low cost.

So I scrapped them. Instead I installed 2 wire thermal actuators which are either on or off. No inbetweens. Temperature is reported via a seperate sensor.

Chucked in a zwave boiler switch. Run the lot from webcore.

It's rock solid. Has been for months and months. Doesn't miss a beat. All off the shelf components and always possible to repair/replace faulty components down the line for pennies.

1 Like

I'm with @djh_wolf on this, really bad experiences with "smart" trv's. I've 4 wired now and they are deadly quiet too.

1 Like

Hi,

I already have some Netatmo Valves in my house, and i am lookking to find here in the community info about Netatmo Valve.
I only saw this thread, so i hope someone can help on this subject.

Is there any drivers to do that ? working with the Netatmo API ?

Thanks a lot for your help