Thermostat Tile without cooling/fan (UK)

Hey,

I'm in the UK, and we don't do things like air conditioning and fans as the weather rarely gets hot enough. I've got Hive hot water and heating, but the tiles for the dashboard have too much nonsense.

Tile requests;

1. Without the cooling set point and without fan mode (only hot temperature select, mode (without cooling showing) and the current temperature. (for the heating devices)

2. Without cooling or heating set points, and without fan mode, just showing mode select (without cooling) (for the hot water service, as you don't set a target temperature)

Surely, this is an easy request as it's basically take something already existing, and deleting half of it...?

Thanks,
Rebecca.

3 Likes

Hot Water Tile

Showing current mode, mode selector and device name.

Heating-only Tile

Showing current mode and temperature, temperature heat selector, mode selector and device name.

Mode selector screen

Remove the cooling option on both, as neither a hot water or heating only device has a cooling mode.

1 Like

I also asked about this some time ago, but sadly haven’t found any solution

2 Likes

You can create a virtual thermostat device, then assign the string:
[]
to the box "Set Supported Thermostat Fan Modes".

This won't remove the "Fan" display on the dashboard, but if you click on the dashboard tile, there won't be any choices to set the fan mode. It's a halfway solution to a cosmetic problem.

I set up 2 virtual switches with my most desired temps, 55 and 65 degrees. One is heater high(65) and the other is heater low(55). I have a rule to set the heater based on the switch "turned on". This allows me to expose the switches to Alexa and have verbal control of the heater (as well as dashboard). Not great but works for me until we can get full thermostat controls to Alexa.

If you are using custom drivers for your thermostat...

You can add these lines to the initialize() function of the driver

sendEvent(name: "supportedThermostatFanModes", value: [], isStateChange: true)
sendEvent(name: "supportedThermostatModes", value: ["off","heat","auto"], isStateChange: true)

Then reinitialize the driver...

Although this will NOT remove the fan control, it will make it inactive (nothing in the list to select) and the "cool" mode and cooling setpoint will not display.

Not exactly what you want.... But it may make things easier until proper tiles are made available.

1 Like

I'm not using virtual devices, but @cybrmage method looks like it would work.

So, maybe instead of different thermostat device tiles, maybe a tile that looks at what capabilities the device has, so if no fan modes, to not display...?

I'm not trying to interface with alexa (yet), so it doesn't answer my question.

This could be achieved with CSS:

#tile-11 div div div.cooling, #tile-11 div div div.heating {
   display: none;
}
#tile-11 div.my-1 div:nth-of-type(2), #tile-11 div.my-1 div:nth-of-type(3) {
   display: none !important;
}
#tile-11 div.idle div {
}
#tile-11 div.idle::before {
 content: 'idle';
 padding: .25rem;
 display: block;
}
#tile-11 div.heating div {
}
#tile-11 div.heating::before {
 content: 'heating';
 padding: .25rem;
 display: block;
}
#tile-13 div div div.cooling {
}
#tile-13 div.my-1 div:nth-of-type(2), #tile-13 div.my-1 div:nth-of-type(3) {
   display: none !important;
}
div.hsmList div.modeList:nth-of-type(3) {
}

This will need to be changed to the correct tile id and probably need more modes to be added text for, but it should serve as a good starting point.

For more information on how to use CSS, see this thread:

EDIT: Improved a small detail in the CSS

4 Likes

Has any progress been made on this? I have a Fibaro Heat Controller (Radiator TRV) which has a built in driver (though it still seems to have cooling options) and as the OP said, we don't really do cooling in the UK.

2 Likes

Not that I’m aware of. I’m still using CSS to hide certain elements.

1 Like

I use SharpTools rather than the Hubitat dashboard and had the same issues there very briefly. Some change was made at their end after I mentioned it in the forum which allowed it to be displayed correctly. I will never get my head around the Hubitat dashboard - I find it really awkward to setup and use so I gave up...SharpTools all the way