Thermostat Setpoint Control

What is the best way of maintaining the temperature at a certain degree? Basic Rule, Thermostat Scheduler or Rule Machine? I setup all three and non of them are working...

The idea behind it is to prevent user manual input on the device

It looks like you have a lot going on...for now, disable all your automations linked to the thermostat except Thermostat Controller and Thermostat Scheduler. To do this, check the box on the left column on the Apps page to disable the other automations, like below:

If you don't see those boxes, click on the grey "X" in the header of the apps screen to enable them:

For that use-case Thermostat Controller would be the recommended approach, since it takes over the thermostat's settings, and changes on the thermostat will be overridden by the settings in the Controller/Scheduler combo. That may be what's happening to you now, if you have Thermostat Controller engaged while trying to use other methods/automations.

1 Like

I removed some of the apps (there is no checkbox) and unpairs some devices. Now the it responds to dashboard changes. With the thermostat controller, I set the cooling setpoint to the same value in both the thermostat and the controller. Please let me know if the settings are correct. Thank you very much for your help!

It looks like Thermostat Scheduler is doing the work. Setpoint value in the Thermostat Controller doesn't seem to have any effect.

I believe that's how it's supposed to work, when you use the Thermostat scheduler to set the setpoints.

As seen in the log, Scheduler DID kick off setting setpoint to 77, but device temperature did NOT change staying at 75. However, it does respond property when I changed it via the Dashboard.

It is buggy and not reliable. Any additional help is appreciated before I sending this thing back to Amazon.

Thank you!

This sounds like a weak mesh. Is this your only Zwave device?

This also appears to be a very old Zwave device. I am not very familiar with this particular device, but many old Zwave (non-plus) do not report their status back to the hub. Not sure if this is one of those that do not report back.

1 Like

It could be due to a weak mesh. I have a dozen devices connected to this hub for now. I do have other Ring zwave devices controlled by the Ring Alarm security panel. Vera worked ok with the Ring Alarm though.

Line powered, or battery powered?

Could you do a screenshot of the whole Zwave details page?

1 Like

Make sure you read the details on how Thermostat Controller and Scheduler are desgined to work...you use the scheduler only w/the controlled thermostat, which shows up as a device in your Device list (e.g., "H-Thermostat1 Controller", not w/the actual thermostat device itself. Just wanted to clarify that just in case.

How It Works

Thermostat Controller manipulates the setpoints of the controlled thermostat to control its operation. This usurps most of the functionality of the controlled thermostat. To call for cooling, for example, Thermostat Controller will set the cooling setpoint of the controlled thermostat to a level well below the current temperature, thus forcing the controlled thermostat into cooling operation. The amount by which the setpoint is set below is determined by the Control Offset, a settable number of degrees. When the demand for cooling has been met, the controlled thermostat's cooling setpoint will be set well above the current temperature, thus forcing it to idle, and again using the Control Offset. The Control Offset defaults to 2° F, and should be set high enough to cover any difference between the average temperature of all of the sensors, and the temperature reported by the controlled thermostat itself.

Cautions

Bear in mind that this app usurps the control and most safeguards of the existing thermostat. Avoid setting the Control Offset higher than needed for successful control. The Control Offset should be kept low so that should the hub fail, the real thermostat will not be in a run-away condition. Be careful in establishing a proper Hysteresis setting.

Use with Thermostat Scheduler

To add scheduling to the controller thermostat, it may be selected in Thermostat Scheduler. Do not use Thermostat Scheduler with the controlled thermostat, once it is under control of Thermostat Controller.

1 Like

I would say you don't have enough repeaters. It appears you have two, and that just isn't enough.

stat

Holy crap that is BAD!!! I don't think I have ever seen one that high before. You have serious issues here.

Here is Zwave's documentation as to what you should be seeing.

(RC is route changes, and NB is Neighbors)

3 Likes

Great info. Thanks. I changed the scheduler to use the controller device instead. For the controller settings, do I need to set the setpoint value for both the H-Thermostat1 and H-Thermostat1 Controller? and should they have the same value? Why both show up with configurable values?

Also device 0X19 could be a ghost or a battery powered device that maybe the battery needs changing?

Thanks for the information. I will pair more wired devices to add neighbor counts, hopefully reducing the routes.

Or it is a battery powered device that has not checked in since the last hub reboot ......

2 Likes

Yes. That is one of the battery powered contact sensors. I will change its battery. Thanks.

1 Like