Thermostat Scheduler [RELEASED]

I think it's good to have this in public, so people can see how these sorts of things are done. Many things are best done with a small app. Of course, sometimes small apps grow into big apps. FWIW, Rule Machine was never small.

3 Likes

100% agree with you and yeah, I suspected it never started out small, nor will it ever be. Not a bad thing, though. After years of using various rule engines, I have to give you major props for all that you have done with RM over the past couple of years. It really is turning into one of the best ones out there (imho).

1 Like

Thank you so much sir :slight_smile:

ohh
I had one thermostat for testing and the scheduler looked ok. I bought the seccond one and now is too complicated.

1. Connecting only one thermostat with a scheduler make me duplicate scheduler(I have 2 but I need 3 more) - five time the same scheduler.
    I will like to have schedulers not connected with thermostas like templates or allow me to connect multiple thermostats with one scheduler. I like templates more and based on my rules I should be able to connect one or more thermostats with a schedulle
  2. Also becuse of this one to one connection when I want to adapt temperatures for different time periods I need to do it multiple times
  3. Groups of thermostats will be good too :slight_smile:

My case is like this:
I have 3 differen schedules
1. Normal work time - 5 days at work in weekends at home
2. Vacation away
3. Short vacations at home

I make a rule for switching this modes. But for each mode I need to set for allthermostat scheduler for each time period defined a heating point. And I need to add 3 new thermostats and is a lot of work.

If I am doing it wrong please help me.

Thanks

This feature is being developed and will be in an upcoming release.

1 Like

thanks

Question: When using a schedule can I select the "Hold" command in manual settings to disallow manual intervention at the Zen thermostat itself?

I am getting human interference while I dial my temps in from the family :slight_smile:

I have one enhancement idea:

It would be nice to be able to edit the name of a defined period in the " Set heat/cool schedule based on days and times". I had a typo and had to trash and re-create a defined period :slight_smile:

Also, if I define a period and do not use all days for this period, is it ignored for the undefined days?

There is no way to prevent manual intervention. I suppose you could write a rule in RM that detected changes to the setting, pause a bit, and then put back the correct settings. But that would introduce complexity that pretty much defeats the purpose of Thermostat Scheduler (knowing what the setting should be at all times).

You will see in the table on the main page there is no entry for those days. So no settings would be sent to the thermostat.

Ah ok thank you Bruce, I will look for the "lock out the non-automaters" setting on the thermostat itself :slight_smile:

Thanks
Matt

One other question: If someone manually adjusts the thermostat, how often will the App check and re-adjust it back to the settings defined within it?

Thanks
Matt

The app only sends settings on the change of time period. It does not periodically check the thermostat with respect to the correctness of the settings.

1 Like

Here is a thought, is it possible to reference the Thermostat Scheduler schedule as a variable to reference in RM4 complex rules?

Thanks
Matt

No, it is not. Like I said, once you put RM into handling that sort of complexity, there is no point in using Thermostat Scheduler. Thermostat Scheduler is relatively simple: it sends the thermostat settings according to a defined schedule.

OK, I guess I am brainstorming more in general also. Creating a complex rule that can be referenced from another rule when necessary would be powerful and allow for modularization.

You can do that all you want within the 4 walls of Rule Machine. Doing it between different apps is a whole different kettle of fish.

Oh but what a deep kettle that could be :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regarding the Average Temps code, I created a device that included 15 indoor sensors and the difference between it and my thermostat temp was 1.2 degrees warmer :slight_smile: Now that will change even more in the summer when the 2nd floor is warmer but was an interesting result.

I also create a test RM4 rule utilizing the "Bruce" "Sleeping Temp" average, that only considers the rooms where people are sleeping :slight_smile: (Note: the sleeping temp is 1.5 degrees cooler than the thermostat).