Thermostat Scheduler doesn't stay 'Away', resumes schedule

That's what I did, I added a call to Activate Scheduled Setpoints when returning from Away and that works.

The problem now is that when the mode is changing TO Away, the Thermostat Scheduler restriction seems to happen first (scheduler does not apply Away setpoints) and a call to Activate Scheduled Setpoints fails (I get the "restricted by Away mode" log message).

It looks like you can also call the away setpoints to the scheduler from within rule machine. It seems like a a lot of back and forth for what should be a self contained app, but maybe worth a shot till we can get the devs to answer?

Funny because required expressions and restrictions in RM aren’t supposed to evaluate true till after the trigger which would make that restriction true. But, this app may work different.

I'm not seeing an option to set the scheduler to "Away" manually. Seems to me what you mention re. order of operations for RM should apply to Thermostat Scheduler too.

Hubitat staff probably taking a well-deserved break. No rush. For now I set the thermostats manually to their Away setpoint from RM.

1 Like

Update on this : figured out the best way to get the behaviour I want is:

• when mode changes to Away, set thermostat scheduler to Hold from RM
  • when mode changes to Home, remove Hold from thermostat scheduler to from RM

Not sure why this is not the behaviour of Thermostat Scheduler - @bravenel can you confirm if this is expected behaviour ?

If I don't add the hold, I get this (added a scheduled setpoint at 14:34 just for this test...)

I'm having the same problem. Using Thermostat Scheduler on time periods works fine normally. When I set the mode to Away, the scheduler initially adopts the away temperature setting, but then reverts to the timed temperature setting at the next scheduled time period, even though the hub is still in Away mode. Surely the purpose of the away temperature setting is for the thermostat to keep this setting for as long as the hub is in Away mode. Is this not a bug in Thermostat Scheduler?
Can @support shed any light on this?

2 Likes

Hello @support_team ! Would love to know if this issue is real or if we misunderstood what to expect of the "Away" setting in Thermostat Scheduler.

1 Like

Hello,
Early January, we left home for a week and set mode to AWAY.
To my surprise, I noticed the exact same issue as initially reported by @hubitrep and confirmed by @neillythere. As a result, our home was heated for nothing in the middle of the Canadian winter...

I am using Thermostat Scheduler 2.0, with Schedule Using = Time Periods.
The desired temperature under Away Settings was set when mode became AWAY, but the schedules resumed normally afterwards (even if the mode was still AWAY)...
I would have expected the temperature to be constant until the mode changed back to HOME...

Since then and as a workaround, I have added a Virtual Switch (ON when AWAY), and a Rule Machine and a restriction on the Scheduler, but this cannot be the proper way to manage this situation, as complexity is induced and other issues are found...

Thanks

1 Like

Welcome @user4216 and thanks for confirming the exact same issue. I'd be interested to learn more about your (temporary?) workaround until this is resolved by @support_team (please can you confirm you are looking into this)
Very frustrating while recently away for a week, I had to login remotely 3-4 times a day to unset and reset Hub Away Mode just to keep my thermostats to the away temperature setting so I wasn't wasting precious energy.

This is the workaround I am currently using. You can create a rule in Rule Machine to do this (I think a Basic Rule might even work) :

Looks like this for me when mode changes to Away. The delay is only there in case there could be any race condition between the Thermostat Scheduler applying the Away setting and this rule applying a Hold.

Great. Thanks for sharing. I think I see how that works. Unfortunately I have lots of thermostat schedules, but I suppose it only needs setting up once!

I think you can control multiple scheduler instances from a single action in RM

[EDIT: I was wrong [2.3.4.134] With Thermostat Schedulers (2.0.1), one of the children is not set to hold ON by Rule Machine (5.1.4) - #2 by bravenel]

@bravenel Is this being worked on?

Thanks for the insight. Don't need this just yet but may do a test run.

I just became aware of it. This is a bug, found and fixed and headed to an upcoming release. It should indeed not follow the schedule when mode is Away.

3 Likes

The sequence I initially reported appears to be fixed, thanks! However, the following sequence breaks the "Away" setting:
-> Mode changes to home => scheduled temp is applied
-> Eco mode is turned on => eco mode offset is applied to scheduled temp
-> Mode changes to away => away setting is applied
-> Eco mode is turned off => thermostat resumes scheduled temp instead of going to away setting. Note that the TS instance has the "Away" tag in the app title, but the scheduled temp as current setpoint.

I would have expected either the change to Away setting to cancel eco mode, or for the eco mode offset to be applied to the Away setting when mode changes to Away, but not this behaviour.

Observed and tested on 2.3.4.138

OK, will look into it. I agree it shouldn't do what you report. I didn't catch that case of EcoMode turning off while Away.

I don't know about Away cancelling EcoMode. Why would that make sense? Another possible interpretation that seems more consistent is for EcoMode to apply to the Away settings just as it applies to any other period or mode. So if Away is 64, and EcoMode is 2°, then Away during EcoMode should be 62, and if EcoMode is turned off while away, it would go to 64,

Not sure it makes sense either. At least in my case the away setting is more agressive than eco mode. Away + eco mode might be enough to put my garage pipes at risk of bursting on a day like today :joy:

But that’s my problem not Hubitat’s. Having the offset apply to Away in this situation does make sense.

I'll get that issue fixed in the next release. Didn't think about it when doing the other fix.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks.

I ran some more tests and something else I notice is that if manual adjustments are made to the thermostats, calling "Set Scheduled Temperatures" does not return them to their Away setting when away. Instead I get this message:

Am I wrong to think of the Away settings "schedule" as a kind of wildcard schedule that should apply at all times while away?

(BTW I find the virtual thermostat driver incredibly useful for debugging my RM/TS setups)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.