Thermostat Scheduler Always Sending Heat and Cool Points

I'm very glad you're as riled up as I am....but we won about 3 hours ago. :slight_smile:

You sure?

Sounds to me like he is going to put in a "gap" setting that won't let you put the cooling and heating set points any closer together than that in thermostat scheduler... Basically emulate what the thermostat does today, but now on the app side. The way I read it, it will still write both setpoints each time.

That's certainly not what I want... No big deal though... I'm probably 80% done with my custom thermostat schedule app anyway.

App development is easy if you don't have to make it pretty, or take user suggestions. Lol

That's not how how i read it at all.

You read that as requiring a delta between the two setpoints?

I presume this won't remove the option to leave it working exactly as it does at the moment?

I am using cooling setpoint as a proxy for another function and rely on it being sent every time in heat mode even if cooling setpoint is actually below the heating setpoint.

Yes, it will continue to send both. To get the other behavior, one has to specify a required separation option, and then it won't send both if in heat or cool mode and the two settings are within that required separation.

2 Likes

Got it, thanks.

I still think it should subscribe to the thermostat mode and base what it sends on the mode in all cases, and then on a mode change proactively send again based on the new mode, but maybe I'm the only one that thinks that way.

My custom app is done and working (basically does what is listed above), so no big deal.

This would blow other use cases out of the water. These setpoints are coming from settings that you yourself have setup. It will suppress sending the opposite mode setpoint in the situation where the two setpoints are separated by less than a range that you can specify. So if you want to always suppress sending the opposite setpoint, simply set a wide range. For the original use case above, a narrow range to deal with setpoints that would cause the thermostat to react badly can be used. For those who always want both setpoints sent, they wouldn't specify any range. All up to you.

1 Like

Set the range to 70, you'll only ever get the one you want.

EDIT: Oops, Bruce already beat me to it. I'm slow on the draw today. I must need more coffee.