Thermostat Device Driver Capability Attribute Enumerations

I'm working on a device driver for my Mitsubishi Electric air conditioner (thermostat) and wanted to develop it in line with the thermostat capability. The capabilitiy definition includes some attributes with lists of values (enumerations), e.g. different thermostat operating modes, etc. My question is, in order to adhere to the capability definition and to work with apps and other features that look for this capability, is it expected that my custom driver includes the same list of values defined, or at least only a subset of these, or can I introduce values of my own into the enumeration for the attribute of the same name?

Yes, this. You will not want to use custom values because it will then not adhere to the capability. If you do change it, you'll want to create a custom capability/attribute to avoid confusion.

Thanks @Ryan780. I did work out after my original post that I didn't need to define the attributes and commands from the capability, they came with the reference to it. The thing I want to work out is whether defining my own will limit how well I can integrate my device with things like the dashboard tile template or other apps. I was able to call the sendEvent method to alter the attributes for supported thermostat modes and fan modes, so this may be all I need to do... I'll report back if I strike any more issues.