Thermostat controller with portable A/C

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing how it goes tonight (or test earlier). Any reason I'd want say a 5-degree vs. 10-degree control offset?

Also, would love for the docs to be a bit more specific about this setting -- I guess I totally didn't realize it was the one thing that mattered so much to my situation.

You want enough of an offset to force the controlled t-stat into cooling. I, for example, have an offset of 3. So when my controller calls for cooling at 70 it sets the real t-stat to 67.

Right, but what is the harm in having too large of a control offset? Is there one?

It is my understanding that you want to use the lowest offset needed to force heating or cooling. I tried different offsets and used the lowest one that works for my setup.

Perhaps @bravenel has a better response.

It doesn’t have to be the lowest, it just has to work in your setup. The default value is fine for most situations. It might need to be higher when there is a greater discrepancy between the sensor temps and the controlled thermostat temperature reading. The idea is to force the controlled thermostat into calling for heating or cooling, irrespective of its temperature. The controller thermostat completely takes over.

1 Like

So one more issue that I’m realizing I haven’t solved. My time restriction turns the AC off at 6am each morning, but it doesn’t turn the AC on at 9pm each night. Is this an issue with the AC driver or how I’ve configured the controller?

Here are screenshots of the time restriction from the controller, logs of the controller and driver, and events from the driver (showing when I turned it on manually at 3am on 10/22 (3rd image) and when the controller turned it off at 6am on 10/20 (4th image)).

It seems odd that logs shows “Restricted” when it’s during the restricted time (3:38am now). Compared to what I think I’ve seen of other automations.

The name for the app is grabbed by the logging software at the time the logs begin, and it is never changed after that. So don't read anything into that name as it is displayed.

Thanks. Any idea why the AC isn’t being turned on at the start of the “unrestricted” window?

Restrictions are passive, their expiration does not cause an event. A temperature event is required to cause evaluation of the Controller Thermostat setpoints vs. current temperature.

Makes sense, thanks. Here are event logs from the temp sensor that’s in the Thermostat Controller. We see at 9:01pm last night it had a temp above the set temp + hysteresis. But the AC still didn’t turn on. Any other ideas?

You'd have to show the Thermostat Controller setup page, and app logs, to begin to understand what is happening.

I think I posted it all above, no? Most in the second to last message as well as earlier in the thread for app setup.

Edit: Added current setup below, since screenshot above had old control offset:

I also couldn't find in the documentation what "Idle Method" of "Mode Off" vs. "Control Offset" means, but I've left it on the default of the former, as you can see.

I take it back. Restrictions are active, not passive, and do create events. So there is some other reason it's not working.

Idle Method has to do with how the controlled thermostat is caused to stop calling for cooling. Mode Off means that it is switched from Cool mode to Off, and Control Offset means that its setpoint is pushed above where it would call for cooling.

Need to see the app logs for when it doesn't do what you expect.

Again, I shared logs before in this post above, 2nd screenshot. But here it is again without filtering for the few minutes after 9pm yesterday.

And here is 6am where the app (487) turns the AC off, 2nd to last line in this small screenshot:

I'm sorry, but what is the problem? It's restricted from 6 am to 9 pm, and it shows being turned off at 6 am, and then it's responding again at 9:00.

Do you have the restriction logic backwards? "Only between x and y" means it will only run during those times.

The problem is that the controller sets thermostatOperatingState to off at 6am (correctly) but never sets it back to on at 9pm so that all the further controller calls from 9pm onward to set the temp, etc., do nothing because the thermostat is still off.

I'm not seeing this problem -- it works as expected for me (see logs below). Perhaps you should remove this instance and re-create it. Not sure what is going on with your set up.

These logs from this Restriction:

I just deleted and reinstalled the app. No dice, same exact log pattern (off but not on). I wonder if this is somehow an issue with the Midea driver I think written by @tomw (code). But I don’t know what the issue would be. Anything pop out at you on the driver page?

Are you able to set the mode to off, and then back to cool from the device page?

I spent quite a bit of time on this over the past couple of days, because I found an unrelated bug in Thermostat Controller. TC never fails the way yours is. I don't know about this being a driver issue, because your TC logs are not showing TC setting back to cool at the beginning of the 'Only between two times" time period (as shown in what I posted above).

Another thing you should show us are the Scheduled Jobs from the TC App Status page (gear icon) from sometime before 9:00 PM. There should be a job scheduled for 9:00 PM...