Thermostat controller virtual device on/off no longer working

I am using the Thermostat Controller virtual device to change the status of a Thermostat Controller from "Controlled" to "Free". This stopped working recently. Specifically If I go to the virtual device and turn it on or off, the value of Controlled does not change. Running a Rule Manager rule to change this value also does not make any change. I see no log entries when I turn the virtual device off/on.

I have created a new Thermostat Controller and it also does not work there.

Did this behavior get changed in a recent update?
Looking at Thermostat Controller | Hubitat Documentation it says "This can also be automated or done manually with the virtual thermostat controller device: the On command will set the corresponding Thermostat Controller app to controlled, while Off will set it to free."

Platform: 2.3.8.120 C-7
My setup

I just updated to 2.3.8.122 and the behavior is the same.

When I click "On" on the virtual device I am seeing this log entry "Thermostat setting to idle by mode set to off". There are no log entries when I click "Off"

Did you refresh the app page? It is not a dynamic page. What you show above is consistent with it being Controlled, which is expected after clicking On. Click Off, refresh the app page, and show the same two screenshots as above.

Per your request, I went to the virtual device page. It was in status on. I clicked off, Reloaded the app page and took the screen shots. Results are the same.

Note: I also tried the app page in a new browser (safari, which I have never used to access hubitat before) and it shows the same thing. So it's not some kind of browser caching.