The problem with smart bulbs

Trying to remember which dumb switch to turn off when you want to replace the bulb..... :shushing_face::joy:

3 Likes

Who has dumb switches anymore? C'mon man! All smart switches with smart bulb mode capability..

_memo_lumberg

3 Likes

The only thing I wish Caseta had...

1 Like

Though wall mounting pico's will give you a similar experience... and that may even be a semi-reasonable thing to do given the insane battery life.

2 Likes

I have lots... Though to be fair the only color bulbs I have are in the occasional table lamlp (Lifx) and use Pico's on Pedestals with them (including night stands).

1 Like

Yeah - am using picos for our bedside tables too. Purposefully did not install light switches to control the sconces. They work great and despite my wife's disdain for Caseta "look" when used as light switches she's become very used to the pico [insert inadequate husband joke here].

3 Likes

My wife likes (or at least doesn't care) about the aesthetic. I personally like them a lot. (Likely because they're different from the common paddle look). the WAF factor for the night stand ones are great because I have the center button on them programmed to shut down the house. (Lights off, tv off, locks locked, etc etc) A very simple yet wife loving rule...

2 Likes

The real advantage of having a smart bulb in a cricuit with a smart switch, is that you can easily allow the client/user/wife/etc. to turn on/off the light manually, and it won't affect the program.

2 Likes

I assume as long as the light is not a significant contributor to a mesh network, where cutting power would mess with the network? (I use Hue)

2 Likes

I think that is generally a good idea - kind of a baseline. Thanks to the oddness of signal propagation and funky routing rules for the various home automation protocols probably better to not have devices drop off / become active all the time if you can help it regardless if they repeat or not.

Either use a smart switch or something like this for US style paddle switches:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Switch-Guards-ILIVABLE-Switches/dp/B08J6HF9T6/

or for US style toggles:

https://www.amazon.com/YLOVAN-Toggle-Switch-Plate-Cover/dp/B089YFDGKS/

I'm sure there are other "switch locks" for other types of switches as well but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

1 Like

Heck, there are 4 switches in our house for which I am still not sure what they do. Sometimes it isn't the switches that are dumb.

3 Likes

I lost the intelligence battle to inanimate objects many years ago sadly... :crazy_face: :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Thats OK @sburke781 I can't remeber the last time I turned off a switch to change a bulb! :wink:

S

3 Likes