The great debate - time to update C-3 hub to C-7?

True, but my thought was I'd keep ST alive for presence sensing and pass that info to Hubitat. I thought (and I may not be remembering correctly, so forgive me) that the Hub Link functionality between Hubitat and ST pointed directly at each's hub's IP address and Hubitat didn't go directly to the ST cloud. Maybe I'm wrong.

Both Hub Link and HubConnect do require the ST hub's IP address (and Hubitat's) for initial setup (though HubConnect 2.0 has a new hubless method that may work if you don't have one). Like all custom ST code at the moment, it will run in the ST cloud anyway. I know there are some things apps on one (or both?) platform(s?) can do to encourage local communication in one direction, but I forget which direction and do know it's capable of working via the cloud either way.

For those that updated from C3 to C7, what are you doing with the C3? Do you still run automations on it?

I'm going to add backup sensors for critical functions to my C3 and possibly run automations related to those as well.

I have 2 C-4's and am converting over to a single C-7. Not sure what I am going to do with them just yet either. I also have a C5 or 2 as well...

Thanks to local processing and the custom stuff all of these older hubs can still be part of a great HA system even if no longer supported..

I'm thinking of putting my C3 back online and let it do the polling and webcore pistons that are on scheduled timers. The C3 has a dongle, is that both zwave and zigbee radio or just zwave?

1 Like

If in the U.S. it's both... The nice thing about the external sticks are if you want to transfer to another hub all you have to do is swap sticks and restore.. You can even use a C-5 if you use an OTG cable.

https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-CECOMINOD016164-HUSBZB-1-USB-Hub/dp/B01GJ826F8/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FY9Z9GD/

1 Like

I'll keep plugging away at the problems because I really want the latency benefits of 100% local processing; however, the quantity of little issues that require forum spelunking seem on par with any other for techies by techies platform. There's no way I'd recommend it to my parents or techtarded friends.

Best description ever! 'forum spelunking ...'

1 Like