The desolation of a quasi-poweruser

Also - some of the SmartThings documentation is very good and will help you, for example articles on capabilities, device handlers (drivers) and attributes, devices / child devices, apps / child apps.

You will have to be wary that some of the nomenclature is different and the way of installing apps and drivers is totally different but if you get stuck on something in HE it may be worth seeing if there is a something helpful on the ST site.

I wouldn't recommend just arbitrary reading of the ST site though as that would just add more confusion for you.

Are you in the UK @SmoothMarx ? If so IKEA stock those B22 converters too. It might be beneficial to add at least one 'officially supported' bulb to your setup to see how easy it can work.

1 Like

Yes, these terms are almost universally adopted as the 3 different platforms I've used all used these terms.

Most of everything you have listed that you are confused about, the answers can be found in one of two places. 1. Hubitat Tutorials or 2. YouTube Videos on Smart Home automation basics.

1 Like

The terms themselves don't help either. Are these terms already in use by other platforms, or is this an HE-thing?

Yes. I knew the terms only cause I came from Smartthings. The thing about Smartthings is it does allow a very shallow pool to dip your toes in. You find out though if you want to integrate anything not supported you need to start accessing the dev panel.

Hubitat gives you the dev panel it of the box and that can be overwhelming. I credit Smartthings though with making my transition easier.

3 Likes

I watched them when I was researching the different options, and used them to setup the Hubitat. I'll go through them again, but I don't recall any mention on how to interface with WiFi bulbs. Could've missed something, though.

After going through your link and explanation, it's becoming clearer.

So, if I understand correctly, these capabilities of the device, what a particular device is able to do (ie features), are all segmented. So a Color light Bulb (like my WiFi RGBW), has the capability "bulb", but also the "color control" and "color temperature", and possibly some others, and then these commands will get translated to the appropriate protocol of the device in question when activated.
Am I assuming correctly?

I still am not entirely clear on the Apps part. I understand what you mean, it's basically a series of triggers that call for other things to happen. It's the mix with Virtual devices that is not clicking with me. I don't know what's missing, but my lightbulb moment hasn't happened yet, although thanks to you, I'm much closer. :slight_smile:

I definitely have to spend more than an hour, lol
That example just made it more confusing.

That's my issue exactly. I previously had some adapters, but made the bulbs sit above the lamp covers, rendering the covers pretty much useless and would have the bulbs shooting direct light in my eyes. Not the best when you just want to do some light reading before sleeping, lol

Given that SmartThing is a bit more easier for users, I'm gonna give it a look, and see if they have further explanations for all the terms.

I'm in Portugal (close enough). I have some other bulbs on the way, but regrettably they're also WiFi. I guess I may order one supported bulb, just to ease off the rage, but the Wallmote was daunting enough and that is supported.

Trust me, I've already gone through my share of video tutorials, reviews, etc. I'm not very logically driven in these things, and have this need to completely grasp the concept before being able to tackle it.

Yeah, although I'm used to this kind of situation. I guess the difference is that I usually already have some background on what I'm doing before delving in, such as rooting. But this is completely new to me.

Despite my struggles with HE, one thing I cannot fault is its community! Thank you :slight_smile:
You guys are great. Your support and help has definitely given me a second wind to face the hill again.

So, besides all the intro tutorials I'm going to re-watch and ST glossary I'm going to take a look at, can anyone point me in some documentation regarding generic WiFi bulbs that use the SmartLife app? I've read somewhere you may need to flash new firmware, but there's no way I'm going to do that right now, lol

1 Like

One thing to consider.....when purchasing "wifi" devices....by design they are "intended" to work with you internet router (which is why they are called wifi devices), they are not intended for a home automation platform initially.....whether they are able to integrate with a home automation platform like Hubitat is a "bonus" but not being able to integrate them is not a bug or fault of the platform, as they are not Zwave or Zigbee devices at which Hubitat is built for.

Also considering that anytime you try to adapt something that it wasn't initially designed to do (device not listed in the compatibility list), you should expect to not have what you hope to accomplish happen without issues, there may be workarounds to accomplish what you seek, but if you looking to have a more seemless adaptation of the platform, then I would highly recommend you take the advice of @stephack by adding devices that are listed as compatible, then after you have played with them and the platform to learn the operation, then begin to adapt the devices you have that aren't currently listed yet.

1 Like

Yes, that is correct.

Virtual Devices... they are very useful for some users, and for others not necessary at all. Let me provide an example where I use a specialized virtual device using a driver that I wrote. This driver implements both the Switch and Motion Capabilities. I use this driver to create a virtual device that is not connected to a real physical switch or motion sensor.

So why would I create this? Well, I have a Ring Doorbell. Since Hubitat currently does not have an official integration with Ring, I wanted to come up with a way to tie Ring to Hubitat. So, I found a common denominator between the two systems in the form of Amazon Alexa. Both Ring and Hubitat have Alexa Skills. The Ring Skill allows Ring Motion events to trigger an Alexa Routine. Within the Alexa Routine I am able to manipulate Hubitat devices. However, Alexa can not change the state of a Hubitat Motion Sensor. It can, however, change the state of a Hubitat Switch. So, by creating a Hubitat virtual device using my custom driver, and then exposing it to the Alexa Skill, and then using an Alexa Routine... I am able to link Ring Motion Events to Hubitat Motion Events. I can then use these motion events in Hubitat Apps to perform any logic desired. For example, I turn on my outside lights if my Ring Doorbell detects motion in the middle of the night.

This is only possible due to the availability of virtual devices. Does this help?

1 Like

Hey guys, sorry I took so long to reply, but life.

yes, but it was the openness of Hubitat that became one of the deciding factors in my purchase. It is the only one that supports all wireless protocols, one way or another. Although, I'm quite surprised they didn't offer WiFi integration out-of-the-box. I thought that'd be a given, even if it didn't come with a radio.

I was actually referring to some simple B22 --> E27 adapters so I could have regular lights on it, but they just sat too high up for their use. But point taken, I should just change the fixtures, lol

I started off with "yes!", read it a second time, changed to "maybe", and I'm currently on "not sure". You're basically using the Virtual Device as a double translator between Alexa Skills and Hubitat Skills. Let me write down my math to make sure I'm getting it

• Ring senses motion --> Triggers Alexa Skill
  • V.Device detects alexa skill --> activates VD motion switch
  • Hubitat activates HE motion switch ---> can do anything else

Was that right?

Today I'm spending the time going through tut's and learning how to setup a wallmote. I'll think about the bulbs when I get there.

Almost...

It is the Alexa Routine that is the bridge between the Ring Skill and the Hubitat Skill.

• Ring Senses Motion β€”> Triggers Alexa Routine
  • Alexa Routine β€”> Turns β€œon” Virtual Hubitat Device
  • Virtual Hubitat Device β€”> Causes a β€œMotion event” within Hubitat to do whatever logic you want.
1 Like

I'm sure Hubitat would like to hear from you about what is non-intuitive about the docs. That kind of feedback is very valuable.

I've noted that a lot of frustration from new owners is caused by not reading the documentation. Not sure how Hubitat could do better to show new hub owners that it's there. They show you it in the start up overview that's built into the hub registration process, they have a button that links to them on the welcome screen of the hub, you can get to them from the question mark in the upper-right corner of the hub UI, and it's in the title bar of the Community landing page. Have any suggestions for them?

I'd like to call to my fellow owners to always point new users to the docs when they express frustration. I only noticed @ogiewon linking to the docs in this thread, and @erktrek linking to the video tutorials. However, I'll caution against pointing to the video tutorials only, as many of them are dated now, and platform/setup isn't always the same in the current builds that new owners will have. It's very costly and time consuming for a small company to update videos, but it is fast and low cost to keep a wiki updated. Seems many are skipping reading the documentation, just like @mike.maxwell did for the Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor :wink: The Hubitat Documentation Wiki is your best place to start, and then hit up the community for help when you don't understand the doc you're reading, or you need further assistance.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hubitat_Elevation_Documentation

3 Likes

That is an excellent point except the videos are the "official" company ones. If they need to be updated that is on HE and is potentially a serious issue for newcomers - why have them up at all? Will definitely rethink recommending them in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

I would just repeat what @csteele said -
It's daunting, sure, but
"Small moves, Ellie, small moves"
-- Contact

This is not a typical consumer platform, don't think they pretend to be... so I hope you keep at it you will get there.

You are are right and wrong - the documentation is there but not where you would expect it to be. Hubitat docs need fleshing out - however the open secret is that you can always go over to the https://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/smartapp-developers-guide/ and you will find everything you need. There are a handful of differences that are covered in the forum discussions.

I disagree respectfully - I think the HE model is quite mature and robust. It should evolve very slowly - tweaks here and there and additional support for new devices, perhaps a few more enhancements to the Dashboard. But I think the platform is stable and mature and addresses the needs of its primary audience. I got my hub about 15 days ago and am in absolutely love it. Love is a strong word to use for a non-living thing but that's where I am. I have been DIYing since 1992 and have gone through many platforms, and HE hits the right spot for me between price and complexity.

TBH my biggest fear is that they will may take the eBay path and try making it "better", investing their money in stupid eye-candy and F it up in the process. So far they are seem to be making the right hard choices and staying away from temptation of glitz. I hear that there is a mobile app in making, I hope its just a thin veneer over dashboard - a native wrapper, I have been in commercial software development for over 30 years and its a sinkhole, and you need really deep pockets. I hope Hubitat keeps its focus, its doing a great job. I hope they don't develop the ambition to become the next unicorn, and instead stay focused on becoming a stable sustanable business that does it right by their customers and employees. @mike.maxwell

3 Likes

I guess I have to be more familiar with the difference in Skills and Routines, and understand the capabilities of each device, but I am definitely closer! :smiley:

I'd be more than happy to help anyone in any way I can. This is what I (partially) do. Provide the dev's with the consumer perspective in a PM environment. Optimization is my schtick! If any HE staff would like clear and actionable feedback, all they have to do is ask and specify on which part.

A first draft would read that the videos aren't the most.... "entertaining" (I know it's not supposed to be, but just changing the tone of voice, or adding some alterations along the way makes a huuuuuuge difference. Another thing would be to add more individual steps to the device setup process (yes, could be more cumbersome for experienced DIY'ers, but would help tremendously with newcomers). Another is to just keep reiterating the acronyms. Orally, always say the complete name of what you're saying, with the acronym in paranthesis.

I use this button to learn about the app I'm currently in, or to land on their wiki, but the documentation just seems to be about setting it up ASAP, not about explaining the device, how it works, what it can do, and all the inherent rest. I don't just want to know how to set it up, I want to know what I can do with it, and if a newbie, chances are I'm not fully aware of what the device is capable of.
For example, I bought the wallmote knowing I could do press and swipe. But no one told me I can possibly use a "hold" method, I just found it in the config section of the Wallmote's app. Is this possible for the Wallmote specifically? or just some other remotes?

time consuming, I would agree. Costly, not necessarily.
If you strcuture your videos correctly, you simply make a nice general personified intro, and create a voice over with the screenrecording. At a later date, you'd be able to cut the video, add an extra scene, and splice up the audio to include info about the new scene. Or create a new screengrab video, but it shouldn't be too hard to carry it out. The keyword on this is planning. Maybe do the voice overs first. Write everything on a piece of paper, read it out at your own pace, and then create a screenrecording to the pace of the audio you just recorded. Much easier to keep things in sync. (just extra feedback here)

I'm definitely aware of this, I just underestimated the difficulty (or overestimated my abilities).

I agree HE is robust, but I was referring to SmartHome technology as a whole. Unless you are using a "walled garden" compability scenario, SmartHome technology has a lot to improve on standardization, openness and user-friendliness. But you can't compete with HE on openness and robustness, I'll give you that. :slight_smile:

PS: I got my Wallmote Button1 to make my Google Home say stuff! Now to try and connect my bulb to HE!

1 Like

I would like to see the documentation that led you to believe this, as I've never seen it anywhere, nor is it true? It doesn't support "Wifi" (as you point out) It doesn't support Bluetooth, it doesn't support 345mhz 2GIG sensors and others......nowhere have I seen that they actually claim to support them (Natively) It ONLY supports Zwave, Zigbee, and LAN devices.

If it doesn't have the radio, it physically can't support it.

VeraSecure supports far more wireless protocols, but I would in noway recommend that platform or controller over Hubitat.

The true power is the flexibility - it does not have those capabilities you mentioned BUT it can connect to devices (like an RPi) that do.. and coupled with the http (or telnet!) calls you can do a lot of things.

I created a simple email notification capability using sendmail & node (plus examples from others) on an RPi accessed by a basic HE driver. Recently created another email notification capability using telnet to an smtp server using a simple HE custom driver. There are many ways to extend HE. I do have programming experience so of course that helps.

THIS! ^^

The keyword from my statement would be "one way or another". I know that out-of-the-box no, but is the only one with an open architecture what will at least theoretically allow it (write a driver to communicate with a Bluetooth dongle, RPi and you have it). And I don't mean they're currently supported, but it is, at the very least, possible.

And what exactly are LAN smart home devices? When I first started off, I was looking for some type of PLC-powered devices as I already have Powerline in the house, and would eliminate the need for a hub or worry about range, but never got around to finding any. Is it for a specific type of product/sensor?

I don't really consider things like Lutron or VeraSecure et al. because even though those systems may be very popular in the US, as an EU resident, the support for those types of things tend to be virtually non-existent around here, not to mention the compability which is even more scarce (try finding a smart plug with EU socket and notice how difficult it is in comparison to other standards such as US/UK).

Pioneer/Onkyo AVR receivers, hue bridge, sonos, to name a few.

VeraSecure is a hub controller just like Hubitat, not a device, it does the same exact thing (just not as well) as Hubitat, and is sold in EU frequencies as well.

Fibaro (which is compatible with most all automation hubs) makes a great line of zwave products that are readily available in both US and UK socket plugs.

So mainly intermediary devices, not the usual kind we're (read: I'm) used to.

Fair enough (despite the 299 price tag on the VeraSecure). Now try to use their support, or send something back. Have to send it to the US (with all customs hassle and cost involved), and Customer Support is on Pacific Time -9h (this isn't so bad, I know how to use email, lol). It's not impossible, but it's quite difficult. In some more extreme cases, the mobile app is not available in my country and have to get it from APKMirror.

I'm looking for EU plugs.

But the case stands. It's not that it's impossible (actually, it nearly is), but extremely hard. in the US, you can pretty much walk to a store and find what you need, or order it and have it in your house the next day (Thanks Amazon Prime!). Unfortunately, those are perks reserved for you guys. Granted, most items are easy to find in the UK, but now I have to find a plug adapter, which will cost money, take up space in the extension cord, and may cause issues with conversion. On the other hand, Portugal, for some reason, has a lot of products that aren't shipped here (don't ask me why). Unrelated product brand, Anker, does not ship here because they have a distributor. A distributor that provides 5/50 products available. So now where do I turn? To whatever allows me to keep my options open the most. That would be Hubitat in this case.

Hubitat provides that open-source support and community that will inevitably have people spread across the world, and that's one of the advantages I saw it had.

Fibaro's Headquarters is in Poland, not the US.

There is also ebay which lists numerous EU devices available. zwave eu plug | eBay

You're conflating the two separate items together,VeraSecure, Hubitat are each individually a Hub/Controller...... Wall Plug/Wifi switch = Devices. They are separate items. Verasecure doesn't make "devices" more compatible with Hubitat, VeraSecure IS more capabitible with different wireless protocols as it has the radios included for bluetooth/wifi/2gig sensors, but from experience the controller/platform is NOT better than Hubitat.......they are two separate controllers that have different capabilities.

Which is what I was pointing out in one of the first posts, Just because you get an "open source" hub/platform (Hubitat) does NOT equate to guaranteeing devices that are NOT listed as compatible as being able to work with the platform. The ONLY way this is guaranteed is to USE devices that are listed as officially supported (zwave or zigbee)......Having the open source platform provides the "possibility" of getting incompatible devices working on the plaform.

Hubitat does support wifi devices out of the box--it works with any LAN device for which there is a driver (or usually app and driver combination for LAN devices) that works with it, wired or wireless. Hubitat doesn't care. Most of them (Lutron, Hue, etc.) just happen to be wired. Yeelight is wifi and natively supported. You just happened to dive right into the deep end on your first day and try a wifi device that isn't natively/officially supported. :slight_smile:

1 Like