The best automation is the one that you forget about

I looked outside this evening and noticed that the exterior lights were on bright white. That means that a motion sensor was tripped. No bid deal, the local cats do that all the time. I have most of the false positives sorted out but I still do get a few every night.

As I was looking outside the motion trigger timed out and the lights reset -- to green. Wha?? I scratched my head for a minute before I realized it was St Patrick's Day. All of the lights turn green today.

I love it when the house surprises me. :smiley:

11 Likes

Now all you need is for it to poor you a dark ale.... :wink:

And yes, I agree those automations that just work are the best.

3 Likes

And then there are those that you forget about and they trip you up.

Got up to use the bathroom the other night and no water. Headed to the garage to check the water inlet to the house. On the way thru the kitchen I tried that faucet. Had water there. So now I'm scratching my head. Then I remembered I cycle my water valve once a week at 2 am on Monday. Off for 30 seconds then back on. And it was 2 am. Just happened to catch it in the middle of the cycle.

1 Like

The way to complete that would be to detect water flow in the shower and play a devilish chuckle when you try to have a shower during the 2:00 - 2:30am period.... :slight_smile:

That or treat it as an appropriate wake-up to have a cold shower.... plenty of science behind the benefits.... cold-comfort some would say.... :wink:

1 Like

You need to add an audio announcement to your St. P automation:

• "M'laird Knox, the lights have been green'd for the saint." :wink:

Neat idea.

I'm working on having my exterior lights turn off for a few minutes every half hour or hour to maybe help the bugs.

I do have speakers outside. :wink:

Unfortunately it wouldn't be that straight forward. If you can send TTS to an Apple TV then I would have to setup a rule to do the following:

• Turn on the Apple TV
  • Switch the input to the ATV
  • Have the finger bot press the speaker selector switch

Not too hard to do but a couple of gotchas -- if Apple TV can't do TTS then I would need to setup a device on a different input. The rule would need to track the state of the speaker switch. The finger bot has no way to monitor the selector switch. Finally, the announcement would be broadcast over the whole house and not just the exterior speakers. :slight_smile:

Bugs? Thankfully I live in the desert and no longer remember those nightly flying terrors.

1 Like

TOTALLY concur.
Similar happened to me - Sat eve I looked outside and saw the green light, and was momentarily wondering why it was green, then remembered Sunday was St. Pat's day!
Holiday Lights JUST WORKS!

Tonight the lights are green and yellow for the first day of spring. :slight_smile: