The Ashes sledging thread

I was only going to post this after Australia retained the Ashes overnight. But, we lost the game (not the Ashes). Such a cracking game, a game of the ages. England should not have even come close to win, but that is the nature of cricket that a match can go down to the wire like it did last night. Two entire nations on the edge of their seats. Here in Australia it was after 1:30am when the game finished. A total letdown for us. Well done England (and Wales).

For the Americans:
After 3 games, out of a total of 5.
Australia and England are 1-1-1.

Australia won the first game, the second was a draw (no-result), and the third overnight was won by England, but really was a game Australia should have won. This means the series has really opened up, with 2 games to play.

Here is the scorecard of the third game:

The Ashes are the oldest continuous sporting competition in the world. It's been played by our two nations since 1882 every 2 years: once in England over northern summer, and then once in Australia over northern winter. The Ashes are the actual ashes of some stumps that were burnt and placed in a tiny urn. It was kind of a joke, as a newspaper ran an obituary for cricket when the convict nation of Australia won the very first series in England against the odds in 1882. And now that's the trophy that is awarded, although the actual trophy has only come to Australia once - in Princess Diana's handback back in the 1980's from memory.

Let the sledging begin. I'm looking at you
@Cobra, @csteele, @njanda @jchurch @stevebott123

It was a great game last night, and it's been a great series so far. I hope the last few games live up to the first three.

5 Likes

I bet Nathan Lyon or your captain Paine didn't sleep last night.
Fumbled run out, (my granny could have completed that run out) and a wasted review that was nearly a foot outside the leg stump. That's pressure for you.

Yep, probably both. I didnt sleep much last night! Gutted.

Can't blame the umpire. Yes it was a bad decision, but wasted reviews a foot outside leg stump are dumb. It pitched outside, hit outside and was going on to miss. Dumb, just dumb.

I've got to be careful though.
We will still do well to beat you guys.
Our openers are walking wickets I'm afraid.

For those out there not familiar with cricket, here is an explanation for you.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

7 Likes

You omitted that when you go out and you are not in you take the sandpaper out

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.:grin: I've never seen a cricket match,

but a sport so inclusive as to allow amputees to play, deserves a watch.

4 Likes

Except when the man who's out is not out

Ha ha. I know. A spinner bowling a no ball? Should never happen. Hero to zero.
It was good to see the crowd give Steve Smith the respect he deserved after what was an incredible innings.

Well that's 'The Ashes' retained by the Aussies.
'The Poms' need to win the final test to draw the series.
It was too much to ask for England to save another test.
Great series so far.

1 Like

Beautiful. I've been on a high all week.

Series drawn and the 'Aussies' have retained The Ashes.
Great series with some great moments.
Ben Stokes single handedly dragging England to victory in the third test.
Steve Smith, quirks and all, batting like the world number one he is.
Series drawn was a sort of fair result but I think you Aussies shaded it.