Thanksgiving Cheer

Happy invade the country, kill the aborigine and steal their land then celebrate with a dead fowl day!!!

4 Likes

That does seem so 1500 - 1800... Nowadays those who have a claim on a territory seem to be awake to those who are trying to take control of it forcefully....

1 Like

Well to be fair, most who steal will do whatever they can to keep ahold of it...

That is true, whatever felons are used to should be the yardstick.... Watch out for... well, my knowledge of the America's history is pretty light-on....

This is probably not what @bobbyD was anticipating in his post...

2 Likes

Wait weren't you guys a penal colony? :rofl:

1 Like

Everyone's moved passed those crimes now, haven't they...? There are more recent crimes to be concerned about....

(Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that displacement of first-Australians is some-how a trivial or comical event, just that as a society we have, at least partially, have moved past what are significant crimes through the 1780's - 1970's.

I fixed it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @bobbyD , we'll continue to develop the jovial rift between the U.S. and Aus separate to the thanksgiving celebrations...

1 Like

I see where you're coming from. But I want to share a different anecdote with you - about how Zoroastrians migrated from Persia to India to escape religious persecution. They were called Parsis in India because of their Persian origin.

They arrived via ship off the coast of Gujarat in India. Legend has it that the local ruler (Jadi Rana) sent a full glass of milk to the Parsis seeking asylum, meaning that his kingdom was full with locals. The Zoroastrians added sugar to the milk and sent it back indicating they will assimilate with the locals and make society even better (like sugar makes milk sweet).

And have they ever! They setup India's first industries, first airline, first charitable educational trusts, first charitable hospitals - so many incredible contributions to modern India.

Someday I hope we all learn from their example .....

P.S. That story may be apocryphal, but is often cited in the scientific literature, with citations from historical literature.

5 Likes

I think it is important to be considerate of different cultures and their history.

3 Likes

I won't mention the World Cup... :wink:

2 Likes

Sadly that never happened here or in a lot of other countries... But hey, home made cranberry sauce (not that canned crap) and deviled eggs... I'm down!

3 Likes

The better team on that day won - no question about it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.