Thank goodness for SmartThings

I feel that if Nest doesn't let more partners in, people will quit buying their walled garden **** and go elsewhere. Then the problem takes care of itself organically. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yea, if only I didnā€™t just buy one :rage:

Thy aren't bad devices - just little 3rd party integration support.

Yea. I was hoping to get rid of Homebridge soon tho

I bought 5 nest protect smoke detectors and the nest hello cam. Then I moved. Brought it all with me. I need 2 more smoke detectors, and refuse to buy nest smoke detectors unless they start opening that gate. I'm focused on other things right now, but when those are all done and smoke detectors are last, I'll replace them all with something else if there's still no proper api. And I say this as someone who has a nest integration that currently works and could add 2 more smoke detectors to it without any issue. Sounds petty, but they could turn off that method at any time with the flip of the switch so I'm not going to invest until I have more certainty.

Add to that all the new people to home automation looking for which thermostat to buy.... how many people do you see recommending nest since the works with nest program got shut down? This one move has certainly hit their revenue, but they're google.... what's a few million to them? :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you get the badnest integration working?

Nope, you just reminded me, Iā€™ll play more now

ahhh, so I would need to have a device dedicated to run tinycam and provide it's feed to HE

i guess i can spin up a bluestacks and try it out. might need to get more HE hubs though to help me with the data. i know my HA dash was using more resources when i had the rtsp feeds going to it, and with all my rules, my HE could use a break

Yeah, I'm running tinyCam on a relatively cheap Chinese tablet that I also use for my dashboard in the house.

@MRobi, @marktheknife

That would constitute a copyright violation (according to the license)... And, the copyright is clear in all headers of the code...

BTW, be careful when you write in a public forum..

For 1 negative feedback, I can give 100 positive comments in the ST community forum... So,
check your sources and reconsider your post.

@marktheknife, this is quite surprising coming from you as I have always been very service-oriented & courteous when interacting with you in the ST community forum as per the following posts in my Flair thread:

As an example, here are some testimonials from some happy contributors, and there are many more under my ST forum threads.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-my-next-managerv2-for-your-nest-products/114903/295

@marktheknife, @MRobi BTW, there is a law against public defamation & libel.

https://injury.findlaw.com/torts-and-personal-injuries/defamation-law-the-basics.html

Thanks for sharing, yves. Have a nice day.

2 Likes

I have more than 3500 contributors and counting and some of them have hubitat hub.. They reported to me the libel material in the hubitat forum.

Have a nice day too.

FYI, your code may be copyrighted but I highly doubt you've patented the method used. I highly doubt it because at quick glance it looks to be the same method used by other integrations on other platforms that came out well before yours did.

And before you mention laws of defamation, you should probably get a better grasp on how it works. And making underlying lawsuit threats is probably not the best thing to do when trying to prove that your interaction with others is very positive.

I've paid for and used your apps, I personally did not like them as they were too complicated for the average user. So for that reason I am entitled to my own personal opinion and review.

7 Likes

Inciting people to copy my copyright code is not really smart indeed.

My brother in law is a repute lawyer in California and, according to his expert advices (I really trust him in those matters) , the material here is excellent...

Oh noes now you've brought him here doing it.

6 Likes

Yeah... Thanks a lot guys. Blah. This thread it going straight on ignore now. I don't need that in my life.

5 Likes

Homebridge did it first

Ask your brother in law lawyer what he would think of taking on a lawsuit to protect "copyrighted" code using a method that was done by at least 3 others prior to you (I know of a dev on homebridge that came long before yours and at least 2 on home assistant), all of which is a backdoor method into an 800+ Billion dollar company's servers. I'm pretty sure he'd advise you against any legal action.

And please note, I suggested someone look at the method used to communicate with said company's servers and then write their own code to do it. This is not against any laws as you cannot copyright methods or ideas unless you apply for additional copyright or patent protection.

4 Likes

If the said method has been done three times (and it's so easy), why don't you code it yourself instead of inciting forum users to buy my code and copy the techniques used in my code?

In an earlier post, you wrote that my code is too complex, but in the same vein, you're clearly inciting people to buy my code to copy it... What a smart move...Don't you see that you contradict yourself? Copyrights are about methods, techniques & algorithms used to provide a specific solution.

If I were you, I would not pursue this discussion as clearly you're in fault. But, eh, somebody has to learn a lesson I guess...

At least, I'm providing some services to the larger community ( and I have evidence to prove it) , what services are you providing apart from defaming people who really contribute?